SDS drill with standard chuck

The manual says not to use the standard 13mm chuck with the SDS drill when in hammer mode. What is the actual problem with doing this? A standard chuck can cope with basic hammer drills - is it the heavier force from the SDS drill that could be a problem?
Its just that I need to make a large hole through a wall for pipework and have a 40cm x 20mm standard masonry drill bit but only a short 6" x 22mm SDS drill bit. Just wondering whether I can make use of the longer non-SDS drill bit in hammer mode in the standard chuck. What's the worst that can happen?
Thanks
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Hearn wrote:

Because it will mush the chuck.

Much heavier impact.

The chuck will last for exactly 3 holes, and the bit somewhat less.
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

and
SDS
can
Is that the voice of experience speaking ? :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
G&M wrote:

The question here is am I brave enough to tell the truth...
My first SDS (a £35 NuTool, which lasted only a little longer than the chuck) came with a free SDS chuck. Not thinking things through, I proceeded to use it to drive a 7mm ordinary masonry bit through a stone wall.
The drill bit very quickly gained the appearance of a sharpened pencil, and the chuck was never the same again (I couldn't actually undo the chuck!).
--
Grunff

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ah. Here's where I admit I have a similar problem with an identical tool :)
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Add pictures here
βœ–

experiences certainly vary with the NuTool got mine from Woolies with the 5 year gntee & it's drilled 16mm holes with the add-on chuck, chased trenches in concrete, hacked through granite & it's still going fine - for £27 & five years of gntee ....not bad.
Add pictures here
βœ–

SDS
The way the chuck locks into the sds hole does not allow any fore and aft movement, therefore the little hammer inside will smashing against an immovable object and will get damaged.
Drill the hole with a small bit all the way through then use a larger bit from each side , with hammer off if you use the grippy chuck.
MrCheerful
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think you're mistaken there.

That sounds more thought out. I'd agree with that bit. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Add pictures here
βœ–

when
standard
the
and
22mm
can
Well , that is how my wickes sds drill and chuck design is, so I assume others are similar. The chuck adaptor which fits into the sds slot has only one depression in the side, this effectively locks the adaptor solidly into the sds chuck of the drill and allows no fore and aft movement (unlike a drill bit, which can float )
HTH
MrCheerful

Add pictures here
βœ–

That'll be the cheap crap you've bought there then. None of my SDS to conventional chuck adaptors, nor any I've ever seen, have been any different in their design to standard SDS bit shanks. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Add pictures here
βœ–

aft
only
into
Ah. Well, I bow to your extra knowledge.
MrCheerful
Add pictures here
βœ–

and
an
Also, when I bought my sds drill, it was almost the only one on the market, so I suppose sds adaptor design may have changed.
However, as to being cheap crap, at the time it was a weeks wages. So piss off with your rudeness.
MrCheerful
Add pictures here
βœ–
MrCheerful wrote:

I was wondering whether I could use a standard masonry bit in it but without using the hammer action. I would imagine though that without the hammer, it wouldn't break the brick so much. If a basic hammer drill struggles then surely not using any hammer would be worse? Depending on the substrate that I've been drilling, I have been able to use masonry bits without hammer sometimes. I often start the hole without hammer to get a more accurate start and then find that I can carry on with it.
Thanks
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:18:23 -0000, "David Hearn"

[T] Possibly, yes ..
I would imagine though that without the hammer, it

[T] Proreably not. (depending on hardness of the material)
If a basic hammer drill struggles then

[T] Indeed ..
Depending on the substrate that

[T] Not a bad plan. I generally use my DeWalt (non hammer) battery drill for everything (to start with at least) including drilling holes for wall plugs. Sometimes all goes well to start with then you hit a hard bit or stone and that's when the hammer would come in. You can get a hand hole 'punch' (?) for making plug holes and I use one of those to break the stone before finishing with the drill.
I used my Challenge one yesterday (+AKM-29, Argos) for the first time and it made easy work of a 20mm hole diag through a 30cm of hard brick wall. ;-)
All the best ..
T i m
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it's like my DeWalt, it wouldn't work anyway - the chuck shaft isn't as long as a drill and won't make contact with the mechanism.
--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

βœ–

On my Stayer SDS the standard chuck adapter is built so that it disables the hammer action when you use it.
--
Chris Green

Add pictures here
βœ–

SDS
Add pictures here
βœ–

SDS
Ooops - finger trouble - sorry about the no added content post :-(
Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that SDS bits are not that expensive from builders merchants.
Surely worth buying a new bit instead of risking your existing bit, plus add-on chuck.
Full on SDS is far more effective that any old style hammer drill combination.
Regard it as a wise investment :-)
Cheers Dave R
Add pictures here
βœ–