SDS Drill Question

Hi all

I got one of the cheap Aldi SDS drills about a month ago. When I used it over the weekend something didn't seem right. Using a straight SDS drill bit (ie no keyed chuck addition) I found that the SDS chuck was effectively spring loaded. By that I mean that as I offered the drill up to the wall, any pressure resulted in the chuck moving back toward the drill body by about an inch before coming to a hard stop and started to drill IYSWIM. Have I managed to alter the chuck setting somehow without realising it? The instructions are useless-to-misleading so no mileage in checking there.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Usually the chuck does not move at all. You should be able to push/pull the drill bit in and out of the chuck a bit (although probably not a whole inch, more like 1/2")

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine (cheapie non-trendy performance power B&Q) does that if the bit is not engaged propery. Pull the collar back (direction of the drill) and twist the bit until it slips and stops further into the drill.

Reply to
Adrian C

"Adrian C" wrote

Thanks Adrian

I'm pretty sure I tried re-seating the drill bit a couple of times, but I'll have another go tonight. Won't be drilling anything, but should be able to test anyway.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"John Rumm" wrote

Thanks John

Yes I was sure that was the case - but not having had the thing long... One thing that gave the game away was the depth stop. This suddenly became totally useless, as the drill would retract as soon as it was introduced to the wall!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Try a bit of oil on the end of the bit, all the sds drills I have used have all enjoyed a drink now and then

Reply to
Phil L

That description matches both of the cheapo SDS drills I've had and sounds normal to me. Having read your post earlier I happened to be using my SDS this evening and sure enough that's exactly what it does. The "spring loading" appears to be part of the hammer action. If you are too gentle and cautiously tickle the wall with it it will bounce back out of the hole, you really need to take charge and grip firmly.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

That is normal, the bit can slide in and out of the chuck about 1/2". If you start the drill clear of the wall it will be bashed to the furthest out position, until you take up the slack there will be little effective drilling action.

The slack enables you to control how vicious the drilling action is. High pressure will blast it's way quickly through almost anything and cause a huge chunk of the material to burst off the face if drilling through something. Light pressure, slow gentle drilling and no great burst through.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice