SDS drill for under £50?

Well ... breakfast and some witty company would be good too ... but I'm not sure about extra "frills" for under £100 ;o)

al

Cheaper ones are likely to be very heavy like for like power wise. This may not matter for drilling the odd hole, but does if using it for a lot of chasing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the same way as Aston Martin is Ford...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have the 40 quid jobbie from Screwfix, used it 2 or 3 times, its totally knackered.

Maybe it was the 1000mmx25mm drill bit I was using in it, I spent more on bits than I did for the drill, a total false ecconomey. The "A decent blade makes even the worst tool usabe" was not true in this case.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Its much more fun with a JCB :-)

Rick- who jot a JCB stuck in his garden last week.

Reply to
Rick

The cheapo ones from Screwfix should be OK for occasional jobs, mine has been fine so far. Unless you are thinking of a cordless one! I'd rather spend the money on good drillbits, which do seem to work much better that cheap ones. HTH mutley

Reply to
mutley

Can anyone suggest a < £100 unit that will allow be to take an internal brick wall out of my house? Ta

Reply to
Vass

I never knew DeWalt made backhoe loaders.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Oh I see. So somehow this provides you with the information to say that the Argos one is "very good"?

Reply to
Andy Hall

May well be true.

However, if the clutch doesn't work properly and safely, and the speed control is poor it doesn't really matter whether it's to drill one hole once a year or whatever.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The same company manufactures both product lines and DW is in the professional category.

????

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cheap v. expensive aside, that isn't a proper way of reducing breakout.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why not? JCB make yellow planers :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Actually I know several builders who use

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just out of intrest what is the correct way? I have in the past had some success using a smaller diameter drill then drilling 'both ways', but this isn't always possible through a thick wall if there isn't a long thin drill available. Any tips/advice gratefully received.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

It is one of many ways... none of which really have the right to be called a "proper" way.

Unless you know different.

Reply to
John Rumm

Use a 2 lb or 4 lb hammer and a cold chisel. To take the wall out, use a wheelbarrow.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You need to support the area where the bit will exit.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Drilling both ways can work sometimes - but often is impractical as you say. A Spelch block is another way - clamping some sacrificial lump of material to the exit location to drill out into. Switching to rotation only for the last little bit also works, but like many techniques is difficult to judge for the first hole through something where you are not sure about the wall thickness. I have even seen someone drill alomost through a wall (bar the last 3/4"), disconnect the drill from the bit (leaving the bit in the hole), go round the other side and use a metal detector to find the end of the bit in the wall, and then drill back to it with another bit!

Reply to
John Rumm