SDS drill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Oh yes. I have the previous version of that - green bodied, but tough as old boots. Best workaday power tool I've ever bought and only recently needed to put new brushes in for the first time after about 5 years of regular use. Keep it cleaned and lubed and it will go on forever.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Fuck off, you clueless muppet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No, I use the drill regularly, but the SDS has only ever been used the once with a chisel for less than 5 minutes. I've got a cordless SDS, so that gets used mostly. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Oh look! A plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Wrong. Bosch and DeWalt are glorified DIY. Makita is a bit better. Metabo is above them all. If you want pro quality and durability then go for Hilti, Kango and Panasonic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh look! A Plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Don't be silly. Obviously I am talking about the blue professional versions of Bosch.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He is in't he.

But MrHall such high priced tools would need to be paying their way ie we would need quite a few jobs to cover the cost of the tools. If the average joe does some home DIY every now and again then its inferior quality that has to be bought at a reasonable price. Aldi seen a nique in the uk tool market and planted its feet quite firmly in this side of its merchandise. The quality is decent and the price every tom,dick or harry can afford. Aldi's tols are not made in china or the far east so basically we are getting decent power tools because the chinese have in some instances lost their grip on the cheap tools market here.

Reply to
George

Just because many of them say 'made in Germany' doesn't actually make this true.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Goodness only knows. He's away with the fairies half of the time.

This depends on what you are measuring.

I think that they are just selling to people who have price tag as the sole criterion for purchase and don't really know what they actually are buying.

Reply to
Andy Hall

My choice was the Makita 2450X (probably replaced by the new 2470 now). Lovely machine to use, very capable of drilling anything you may want, and the excellent speed control and multipoint locking chisel make for a breaker with very fine control and accurate cutting - ideal for chopping out socket boxes etc. Not too heavy to use, and has a safety clutch etc.

(Not knocking the Blue Bosch GBH range, Hitachi, or the DeWalt SDS ranges either - they also do some very good machines)

No, you need proper SDS bits. These are cheap enough and tend to last much longer than the normal hammer drill equivalents.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. Only a certain percentage of the ex-works cost has to be local content in order to allow this decription to be used. This also assumes that the supplier is actually complying with the regulations. The grocery discount places have been caught with their pants down on that particular issue in the past, so cannot really be trusted.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A neighbour's Aldi PowerCraft 900w SDS drill's switch burnt out drilling a hole for a vent fan. It was the first real intense use of the drill. He is looking for the receipt to take it back, if he can find it. It is about 2 years old.

I think Lidle's Parkside tool are probably better than Aldi's PowerCraft. I would tend to go for a Ryobi as a minimum for an SDS drill. By their nature, SDS drills take some intense whack so have to be well made.

Straight forward drills can be cheapos as they are so simple to an SDS and do not take such intense usage.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel