SDS channelling chisel - one crank or two?

I have bought an SDS+ channelling chisel, the sort with a square shaped scoop at the cutting end, for making channels in a softish breeze/clinker block wall.

The catalogue picture shows two cranks in the stem, in opposite directions, so I can understand that downward blows from the drill will produce a similar downward motion at the cutting edge.

But I have been supplied with an item that has just one crank, of about forty degrees, in the stem. So the motion at the cutting edge would seem to be as much sideways as downwards, and it is that bit more difficult to imagine the results obtainable.

Do these one-crank items work all right, or should I try to exchange it for a two-crank item? I have not used these tools before, so if somebody with some experience could tell me what they think, I should be most grateful.

Regards.

Reply to
Anode

The Armeg one I have is one crank, and seems to work fine in the cases where it works! (they are good for certain types of work - with older plasters they can pry off too much surrounding skim coat for my liking)

The two crank one probably does not put the drill at such a comfortable angle - even if it is technically better from the point of view of force application.

Reply to
John Rumm

Many thanks for your welcome response. The one-crank item that I have is also Armeg, so it is likely to be very similar to the one you have experience with. In the light of what you say, I shall go ahead and have a go with this. For short-ish distances, I have frequently cut through the skim coat of plaster with a Stanley knife, which keeps things under control a bit, though this was before I had a channelling chisel.

Best wishes,

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

I have a single crank 30(ish)mm one and it works fine channeling plaster or breeze block.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thank you for that information, Dave. It gives me confidence to go ahead and have a go with the single crank item I have.

Regards,

Anode.

Reply to
Anode

Still worth scoring the skim coat just in case.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Noted.

Thanks.