SDS bits in a combi

I've got lots of sds bits, and for drilling concrete an sds drill is fantastic.

However for softer masonry, a combi drill is a lighter, one-handed tool, and most importantly is more compact for difficult corners.

With a bit of messing about to avoid the guides, I can fit an sds bit in a regular chuck and get it to run concentrically.

Very useful, especially the long series (160mm) bits.

It would be really useful to be able to slip a collet/sleeve over the base of an sds bit so it fitted properly into a 3-jaw chuck.

Anyone done this or seen one available?

Reply to
dom

Good idea, possibly. You can always wind iron wire round the shank, leave it there permanently. Only usable in a hammer drill tho, non-hammer would be ineffective & trash the bits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've done exatly that, no real problem holding the bit in the chuck. I didn't feel they were as effective as non SDS masonry drill though?

Why would that happen? I can see it wouldn't be as effective, but why would it trash the bits?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm not sure why exactly, but TCT masonry bits do have very short lives if used without hammer. ISTR only getting a few holes out of a small one that way (wanted to keep the noise down)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh, not noticed that myself. I often use the multi material drills without hammer for the same reason, they seem fine.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Those are a different type of bit and work differently. Conventional tct masonry bits are more or less blunt, so to drill masonry you have to push a fair bit to get it to break up - and the tct then doesnt last long. Different matter with a cutting edge, dont need such pressure. Maybe wikipedia will say more about this well known limitation of masonry bits.

NT

Reply to
meow2222