SDS and Screwfix

I couldn't find the Dewalt on Dewalt's own site. (Well - not in the UK.)

Did you notice that the Mak is available at the same price from

*but* that includes some bits - which might end up being better than 10% off?

(I would go for the Mak - but snobbery might be clouding my judgement. Or is it that partner's favourite colour is near Mak blue/green and her least favourite is yellow.)

Reply to
Rod

Not there. Dribble is probably reading an out of date catalogue.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which ones in particular?

The 2540 is not a current model anymore - replaced by the 2570 which George gave you the link to. However it may still be available as the Site branded version:

looks exactly like my 2540.

The Bosch GBH is in fact the GBH2-26 now - the 24 was the previous model (sorry my mistake):

even allowing for the discount you may prefer the offering from Lawson:
comparable Hitachi is:

again Lawson are cheaper:

John Rumm

That is probably the better deal

and that's the better drill.

(probably not helping you decision process much though is it?)

Note that the DeWalt on eBay may not include a carry case. Personally I find tools without a case to be a right pain...

Reply to
John Rumm

> and that's the better drill.

I doubt that anyone has ever regreted buying a Makita though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm pretty certain my local Wicks doesn't have a workshop with trained technicians. I'm pretty certain non has - anywhere. However, with the better makes, you can usually get spare parts sent out by the next post. Do Wicks offer this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup. Was removing tile adhesive from plaster with my early DeWalt today. It's a tool that delights each time I use it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They send it to to the the repair depot.

Giv em a ring.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Wicke do sell that Kress drill with the 5 yr guarantee.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, it is a better deal and product. Just better.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is now £87. Just type in 43520 on the search on the s/fix site.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

To be told sent it to them? There are plenty suppliers of spares for the better makes that have websites where you can order the bits yourself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You made that up..

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

After much deliberation I went for this one

all I need are some masonary drill bits to fit it and some chissels. Dont know what size I need though.???

I wanted the free driver thats why I went for it.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Phew!!! :-)

You could do worse than a cheap set like Screwfix 45394 - that includes some of the most useful sizes and four chisels. It does NOT include a full through-the-wall length so maybe get Titan SDS Plus Drill Bit 12 x

450mm (or similar) as well.

BUT - these are cheap - so they are not going to be the longest lasting, best quality ever.

Reply to
Rod

choice Sam, cracking deal as well. I have 3 x SDS machines & 2 x drill drivers & I was still tempted by that deal :-)

I use my 12v Makita all the time because of its small size & light weight.

For general fixing I only ever use 6mm & 8mm, majority 6mm. Better off buying individual as the sets contain odd sizes you may never use.

You only really need a chisel & a point for general work. Keep your eyes open for cheap sets of long bits with Screwfix, Toolstation. Aldi etc & buy when they come up.

Do girls enjoy buying power tools as much as blokes do :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

it's as good as my elderly DeWalt SDS you'll be fine. It looks pretty similar and the spec is the same so may just be a variation on the theme.

Well, for drills just get the ones you need for your favourite wall plugs. My most used chisel is the 1" one. I've bought longer and larger drills as needed - like say to run a water pipe through a wall. The Screwfix standard range are fine for DIY - I've not worn one out yet. Very different from ordinary masonry drills in a hammer drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

> Good choice Sam, cracking deal as well. I have 3 x SDS machines & 2 x

I cannot speak for them all but I do. When I got it I went round the house loking for things I could drill, knock down or screw into, then realised I had no bits for it. Kind of dullened my enthusiasm for it lol. Buy yes I do love buying tools. Next one..........a router. It terrifies me but I will be buying one

Reply to
Samantha Booth

had to think about it? =A387.49 for a decent SDS and battery drill/driver with two batteries? If I didn't already have both of those =

I'd bite their hand off!

Note the batteries are NiCd and the charger a 1hr jobbie so they will ne= ed some TLC to get the best life out of them.

What do the plugs you normally use need? Probably 6mm. A set of smaller =

sizes is useful, say 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8 & 10 would be a good starting =

point then add as required for other fixings or holes. Chisels 1" is goo= d for general work, cutting out box holes etc and a channel chaser is brilliant, though ISTR you have plaster board walls rather than real one= s.

Dave Liquorice

On that topic, CPC are doing a pack of three (10, 16, 25mm IIRC) 1m SDS drill bits for under £7 at the moment.

Reply to
John Rumm