SDS and Screwfix

Doesn't sound very good to me. I bought a cheap one from homebase and that does have rotation lock and it packs a hell of a punch. I bought it to break up some concrete around fence posts, ended up cutting holes in the blocks as it was easy with the drill. (One of the blocks was about 1.2m across! That's what you get when they use a jcb to dig post holes.)

Reply to
dennis

That is rather why I included the comment "It is crap." :-)

Reply to
Rod

What that tells you is that they struggle to sell and need an edge. It doesn't mean they will last longer. It is a marketing ploy, nothing more.

Reply to
dennis

These SDS models have been made for around 15 years, pretty well the same. They are a mature product popular with the trade. Wickes do not struggle to sell power tools, they are a national chain. A company that stand behind a 5 year guarantee is good. The Wickes/Kress SDS is Very good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How long have screwfix been selling Wickes branded tools, or when did Wickes start accepting Screwfix 10% off vouchers?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Never.

They do not,.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

One of the joys of using a good SDS is just how gentle it can be...

With mine I can draw a line round a socket back box and then follow it exactly with a very light pass with a chisel - just hammering enough to cut the wallpaper and the plaster skim. Once the edge is nicely defined you can get a bit more brutal with it - sinking a 20mm chisel to the required depth all round. Finally I swap to a 40mm chisel to remove the waste in the middle. Again with delicate control you can plane down the back surface of the hole nice and flat. Takes about 5 - 10 mins per double socket depending on hardness of material.

Reply to
John Rumm

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

So how can the OP buy one from Screrwfix at the opening day of the new branch?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Nice to hear that. I could do the same with mine - make a hole for a socket back box in 5-10 mins - easy. Probably be large enough for at least consumer unit to pass through ... :-)

Reply to
Rod

The best 2 kg SDS is the Hilti te range. It is a world away from the rest of them. Not cheap but men who drill holes for their living use them as they save "lots" of time.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

He can't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

LOL!

Reminds me of the time I was doing a bathroom for SWMBO's aunt. She wanted a flush mounted shower mixer which needed getting on for three and a half inches of excavation, and the plaster over cinderblock wall was only about 5" in total. The reverse of the wall in question was on the landing, and it had been decorated a couple of years previously. Apparently there was no spare paper, and it was a discontinued design when they got it, so any mistakes were going to involve making good and redecorating the whole lot! I had visions of breaking out the back of the wall at any moment. Delicate control was the order of the day, and the trusty 2450 did it without any drama I am pleased to report.

Reply to
John Rumm

Samantha, the OP in case you had forgotten or didn't realise, said maybe

60 quid. I felt bad having said I would choose a 99-99 upwards model. So I am pretty damn sure that she won't care how good you think Hilti products are.
Reply to
Rod

But now you know, which you never before.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Its a world away granted, but not in a good way. Their 2kg offerings (TE2 and TE2M) are only two function machines, so they are of no use for chiselling.

In fact in other respects they are nothing special either. Compared to most of the competition they have less powerful motors (only 600W), and they deliver less impact energy per blow. If the speed controller on the TE17 I used the other day is anything to go by, then they are not even that refined either.

They make nice nail guns, but to an extent they are trading on their former reputation with drills.

To top it all off their retail policy sucks. They restrict availability of lots of stuff to try and get you to buy from the official hilti stores. They advertise silly prices and only allow you to purchase at realistic prices when you have "earned" the right through buying enough volume. Not sure if it is still the case, but they used to add insult to injury by limiting the discount you had earnt to only applying at that particular shop - visit a different branch and you had to start over. I know one builder who closed his account and flogged all his hilti gear as a result of that one.

Reply to
John Rumm

They still go though very fast. The te72 is a wonderful beast and worth buying second hand.

They are are for rough site work.

Try a te72.

When on ebay the te72's never stay around long. They are repairable.

The Hilti drill/drivers are superb. A mains Makita 110v SDS cannot drill

6.5mm masonry holes as fast as a Hilti 15.6v battery hammer drill. Above 6.5mm SDS is better. That is why they are the choice of real professionals. One drill driver will give most of what many journeymen will want all in one drill in his bag with no mains leads.

Not cheap but the best. For men who use them all and every day and time is money.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

is this a good deal if I upped the money?

Thanks again Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Yes at 99 delivered , and I had one, but you may want to also check...

"DEWALT D25003K D25003 SDS ROTARY HAMMER DRILL 650W 240V" "260250682710" at 69 delivered.

"DEWALT (D25003) 3 FUNCTION SDS ROTARY HAMMER DRILL" "120273334297" at 68 delivered.

You *MUST* read the descriptions to verify they have...

1) Roto-stop - means you can stop rotation to chisel 2) Clutch - means if the bit stops, your wrist doesn't spin

I think that model of Dewalt has both, but only did a quick glance.

No point buying an SDS without roto-stop (chisel) capability. If you use chisels, keep them sharp otherwise you make life hard.

Reply to
js.b1

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

On

Don't worry about it. There's a 5yr guarantee.

It's a bit like the lady who stands in the entrance to a Focus near to me every weekend trying to make appointments for a double glazing firm. She proudly announces that everything is 50% off. I ask her 50% off of what. She replies that it's 50% off. I don't think that she makes any more sales than Drivel.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They have the Skil 1758 3 function at £80, the Ryobi ERH-750V at £100, the Bosch GBH2-23 at £110 + the Site (Makita) 2kg SDS at £115.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman