Scythian dreams

A couple of times each year I mow the little meadow at the end of my garden and every time I roll out extension leads, get weighed down by the electric strimmer which makes a horrible noise and the strimmer line breaks and I curse loudly

To save the ears of my ladylike neighbour there has to be a better solution and I've been considering getting a scythe for a while now.

It happens that there are loads of scythes in my local auction on Saturday so I might go and bid. Does anyone know what I should be looking for in particular? Does one buy a scythe to fit the person, or are they general purpose items? The lot descriptions include

Grass scythe (several of these) Bramble scythe (hopefully dont need this) Pea scythe Scythe cradle Allen scythe scythette

I'm told that a scythe blade has to be kept very sharp so presumably I will need some sort of honing stone too?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Probably not at all what you are looking for, but great fun! (if you can visualise a clipper of the type you might use for a horse - now add a petrol motor and scale it up such that the clipping bit is 4 foot wide!)

Yup, razor sharp and they work really nicely. Personally I am quite pleased with the petrol brush cutter.

Reply to
John Rumm

When I use a scythe, I stop frequently to hone the edge. I wet the stone by keeping it in a plastic holster with water in it. Once you get the right swing and angle, it works very well. Good exercise, too!

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

================================== Look for a 'cigar' sharpening stone in a garden centre - used for sickles so presumably good enough for a scythe.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from snipped-for-privacy@home.co.uk (Anna Kettle) contains these words:

I have an electric strimmer that has remained unused for well over a decade. If yours is anything like mine I am not surprised by your reaction. A year or two ago I bought a petrol strimmer which has a thicker line and performs much better but when I need to cut open areas out comes the old scythe my father bought back in 1954 to clear our new garden. I had to buy that a new blade a few years ago and I find the new

2 foot blade much easier to use than the original 3 foot blade.

I am sorry but I don't have a clue about the various types of scythe. Mine is (AFAIK) a traditional scythe with 2 handgrips on a long curved shaft.

Well sharp anyway. Any good iron mongers will sell you a suitable honing stone.

The traditional advice for using a scythe is to keep the heel down. What that really means is that the blade needs to be kept parallel to ground and as close as possible without actually grounding it. Easier with a shorter blade. Don't get a modern sickle fitted with a golf club type handle. Worst of both worlds.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Reply to
Roger

The only way to buy a scythe is by trying them all until you find one that feels *right* for you. If you swing it as if using it, you will immediately know that it is the one.

Don't immediately go for a light one, it should be balenced and the weight is important as the heavier it is without discomfort, the less wellie you will have to provide to cut.

As someone said they are really theraputic to use and can be enjoyable.

Reply to
EricP

Presumably a 'scythette' is a female scythe ?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are bloody hard work even after you have developed the Knack of using them, and they don't have an engine!

That one does so is much more fun

is a much smaller version of the Allen with a B&S engine but the makers name escapes me at present.

-
Reply to
Mark

Villiers?

Reply to
John Stumbles

If Boudica did the gardening for uk.rec.engines.stationary ....

(We've got one - terrfiying bloody thing to see it approaching)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you're seriously thinking of such a thing and you have a large meadowy area then it's probably worth looking at a Goldoni "Jolly" two-wheeled tractor. They have a scythe attachment but can do a lot more with the right attachments.

The attachments include flails (much better than a scythe for rough grass), industrial strength brushcutter/strimmer, and even circular saws.

"More than 50 implements including mowers, scythes, chipper, trailers, brushes, hay raked, roller, dozer, snow blower, pump, saw bench and cultivators"

links for "two wheeled tractor units" and attachments.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I remember one of the lads at my school finding a big one of these in one of the gardeners sheds and deciding to rebuild it as an exercise. Managed it as well - seemed to delight in tuning it up so it propelled itself so fast you could hardly keep up with it. Making sure you were behind him when using it was well advised!

Reply to
John Rumm

FWIW my experience was about the opposite. I initially went for a small short handled thing, comfortable and easy to swing about, and it works. Chap got me to try a full length 2 handed one, and I found it impossible at first, but with his encouragement I persevered, and once I got the hang of it it really worked much better. I dont know a lot about scythes, but after that I'd go for a big heavy long 2 handled one. Despite being less easy to get the hang of, they cut more ground per hour with less energy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Mine too. Only time I ever tried was when I was younger and not as fit. Did about 3 hours of scything and the next day I felt as though I'd been wrung out by a giant.

On the other hand. the bit of land above us could do with a bit of a tidy and I think the small grass hook will do the job - was thinking about buying a strimmer, but as usual, the group gets me thinking of other ways of doing things. The bit of land isn't very big and is on a very steep slope with stumps etc. so a scythe isn't an option.

If you do buy the scythe, don't forget the leather gaiters, smock and broad brimmed hat (straw in mouth optional) Oh, and an earthenware jug of cider.

David

Also they are quiet and free to run and don't damage the environment.

Don't take up much space either.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you do buy the scythe, don't forget the leather gaiters, smock and broad brimmed hat (straw in mouth optional) Oh, and an earthenware jug of cider.

That's Anna's everyday work gear!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, and wear stout boots up to the knees at least.

I've seen a frog neatly bisected by a sharp sickle..

There is an art to scything, and I haven't got it. I use a motorised strimmer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tell that to the grass. And the bisected frogs in it.

Prat.

Slightly MORE than a strimmer, actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yesterday a passenger wiped condensation off the inside of my car windscreen with her hands, she had on 6 rings, now there are scratches on the inside of the windscreen which show up at certain angles to the sun, how can i polish them off?

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Jewellers Rouge perhaps ? or ask at a windscreen repair shop...Autoglass? then hand the bill to your passenger .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome