Scumbag update.

Agreed I get information here 'for free' but I also share information here 'for free' that I've gained in the course of my work. I'd wager good money that I've contributed (since being a member) more to this group than you have and that I've given more information than I've recieved.

By 'constant sigvertising' I take it you mean my signature? I believe thats perfectly withing the FAQ guidelines. I have no idea what 'stealthvertising ' is.

If people on this group chose to answer a question I put, they give the information freely - therefore it can't be 'stolen' can it? If you or others don't which to answer questions I post they don't have to.

You seem to have a knowledge of chemistry, but instead of using it in a positive way you choose to snipe at people. Why don't you use that knowledge to write a common chemicals FAQ for example?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I quite agree...

It is perhaps the definition of "commercial use" that I was having difficulty with. I don't see Dave (or any of the many other business owners that post here on a regular basis - myself included) trying to sell their wares or services here.

I personally would no be prepared to make exceptions where people just want to spam the group touting for business. Affable or otherwise does not really come into it.

I would have no difficulty if you or anyone else offered your product or service as a direct answer to a specific request. It would be no different from any other question where the answer is screwfix, cpc, RS etc.

Out of interest which "commercial uses" in particular, do you object to?

Discussing work done for clients? Including a home page in your sig? Discussing topics that you are involved with professionally?

Or am I misunderstanding your point?

I can't see why I should want to...

An activity that is detrimental the the rest of the queue - annoying I agree. Still not sure I see a similarity here.

Off topic yes, but less so that much of what is posted here. Such is life on usenet.

Reply to
John Rumm

...and paneling doors and boxing in stair rails with hardboard, sticking polystyrene tiles on the ceiling ....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't forget Formica work surfaces.......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Plus the obligatory Artex (complete with asbestos) and Marley floor tiles (again complete with asbestos).

Don.

Reply to
cerberus

... and sticky backed plastic in drawers...

Reply to
Andy Hall

...ever so uncomfortable that....

Fablon IIRC?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your sig is /actually/ 5 lines, so technically too long.

you could easily combine the lines to make it three - - vis

Dave The Medway Handyman |

01634 717930 | 07850 597257
Reply to
<me9

All of the above really.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Never mind the online punch-up on this forum.

Did you meet the guy?

Did you nail his head to the coffee table?

What kind of nails did you use?

Reply to
dom

Balanced and perfectly sensible comments. Keep posting.

Within the FAQs as I see it. No problem. I don't even recall the links so it's not an issue for me.

Keep posting. Your input is valuable, information, sometimes amusing and I think you are a valued poster to the group.

Reply to
clot

Spread no-nails inside the cream cake....

Reply to
Adrian C

Ah, good personal attacks, keep it up.

It's a reference to your continuing campaign of careful placement of complaints about other tradesmen, photographs of other people's work, your van (replete with advertising materials) etc.

If we followed that advice then this group would be silent.

That is complete and utter bollocks.

Because I choose not to, at the very least I have concerns over the liability implications of such advice.

Why not pop around a fix a few things around my home for free?

Reply to
Steve Firth

You seem to have rather unrealistic expectations, which presumably means you are destined to be annoyed on a frequent basis.

To expect someone to refrain from answering a question because they have relevant professional experience is quite frankly daft, and would serve no purpose but to make the group less useful for all. I can't really follow the logic either that would exclude giving advice based on experience, when the "customer" of that experiance was someone other than oneself.

As for inclusion of a link in a sig, it is explicitly permitted in the FAQ (the nearest this group has to a charter). Would you rather that were not the case?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes it was Valerie Singleton in Blue Peter who first coined sticky backed plastic when the BBC was hypersensitive about the possibility of advertising something dirty and commercial. Cereal packets were another of the base materials for projects. The Kelloggs word was usually scribbled over in black marker and I suspect that the Fablon was just to disguise that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, No

It was nail his head to the floor and screw his pelvis to a cake stand. Great bloke though.... used to send his mutha flahs an that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

... sticking polystyrene fake stone cladding on the walls ... inside ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Rejuvenate those kitchen units with Fablon!!!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Bump into him down the canoe club with a canister of expanding foam...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I always thought that 'sticky backed plastic' was a reference to sellotape, a trade name which the BBC charter wouldn't permit?

The Medway Handyman