screws and screwdrivers

Hello,

My cordless screwdriver seems to be on its way out. Its a Bosch model hat I have had a for a few years. What is the life expectancy of the batteries in these? I presume they are not replaceable?

I think the battery is worn out because it will not hold a charge.

Is it time to upgrade to a new one? Do you recommend a dedicated screwdriver or should I use the opportunity to get a cordless drill? I would think a drill might be a bit too bulky for screws.

I suppose you might recommend an impact driver but they seem very expensive.

By the way, is there such a thing as a general purpose screw or is it a matter of a different type for each application? Up to now I have used Screwfix's Quicksilver range. I only really use it for joining bits of wood or with a wall plug. I'm running a bit low, is there something better I should stock up with?

Reply to
invalid.address

The price of Bosch blue cordless drills has plummeted lately, especially the

14.4v blue range, ...much to my regret.

Arthur2

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

If you're using an electric driver, or drill-driver, forget anything with a Pozidrive-type head - the bit cam out and chew the heads up too easily. Instead, use screws with T-star (Torx) heads (See

such as Screwfix 24061. They come in various diameters (designated in mm rather than conventional screw gauge) and lengths. You'll need to get a set of Torx bits if you haven't already got any, but you'll never look back once you've made the change.

Reply to
Roger Mills

(See

such as Screwfix 24061. They come in

I will counter that suggestion, because what Roger is forgetting is that few of us have Torx bits whereas we all have cross head bits of one sort or another, so that any future maintainer will be unable to do these screws he is suggesting you put in. It's interesting that Screwfix only stock Torx screws in their outdoor range. And then again are we going to be face with having to change the Torx bit for each screw size ?

I don't have any problem with cam-out and that is with a selection of Screwfix cross head screw types because I make sure I use drivers in good condition, and I use a sensible torque setting on a battery driver that is not over powerful.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'd go for a cordless drill driver maybe 12v. Good makes are surprisingly powerful for their size & weight. Makita, DeWalt or Bosch are worth a look - lots of good deals around.

Only if you are driving large screws/coach bolts or large quantities of screws.

I use Quicksilver with wall plugs & Turbo Gold on wood. Turbo Golds are brilliant - fast driving, no pilot, work right up to the edge without splitting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry - but that's nonsense. When I was a kid, no-one had anything other than flat blade screwdrivers - but that didn't stop Philips and Pozi screws becoming popular. Many electrical appliances (not to mention cars!) are held together with torx-head screws, so most keen DIY-ers will have at least some torx bits.

Yes, but what happens when you try to *remove* a screw from wood that's past its best? You have to push axially onto a screw with a cross-head bit - with the result that the screw simply rotates but doesn't actually come out. Whereas with a torx screw, you can rotate it without pressing on it - so it comes out easily.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What's a rusty torx screw like to get out?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Prolly still rusty ...

Reply to
geoff

Not a problem - unless it shears off - but that could happen to *any* screw.

I was actually referring to the *wood* being past its best - rather than the screw. If you can rotate a screw without pushing on it (which you *can* with a torx screw), it will come out - even in slightly soggy wood. But with a cross-head/pozi - which needs axial pressure for the driver to engage - you've *no* chance.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It needs very little pressure on a PoziDriv screw if the head is undamaged, the design is specifically aimed at minimising the chance that the screwdriver will 'cam out' isn't it?

Reply to
tinnews

Sorry for the late reply.

There's been a couple of recommendations for the Bosch, I'll have to look into that.

I see some cordless drills are screwdriver/drills and others are drills/hammer drills. Is it not possible to get one tool that does all three: screw driver/drill/hammer drill?

Thanks. I'll look into the turbo gold. Splitting can be tricky near the edge. How do Turbo gold avoid that?

Merry Christmas.

Reply to
invalid.address

Yes; I'd say any cordless drill these days will be fine for screw driving. All you really need for this is a slow chuck speed or variable speed. A slipping clutch to set the maximum torque is useful but not essential. I have an ancient mains hammer drill that reverses and has a 50 rpm speed and no clutch which I used for screw driving before cordless arrived.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't get a DeWalt. I'm greatly disappointed with the one I got.

Reply to
Huge

Thats what a 'Combi' drill driver does - drills, drives screws, hammer drill.

>> I use Quicksilver with wall plugs & Turbo Gold on wood. Turbo Golds

Just the design I guess, but they do what they say on the tin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think it's because the core of the screw is much thinner than in a traditional wood screw - in other words, there's less metal pushing the wood out.

Of course it's not perfect. If you try and drive a 4mm screw at 2mm from the edge, it will split ... but you can get a LOT closer than with an old-style screw.

Reply to
Martin Bonner