Screwing up tiles

Well, sort of...

Installing a back to wall bog and having to custom build the boxing in as the easy way (buying a cabinet) doesn't fit the space. The bog and sink will be side by side on this boxing and I'll need to provide for potential access to the cistern and (just in case) the plumbing under the sink.

SWMBO votes for 30 x 60 tiles, laid horizontally and instead of sticking, screwing them onto a wooden frame with mirror screws, so they're demounatable. That seems OK but, it seems to me that the screws shouldn't be in direct contact with the tile, and could use something to sleeve them to cushion the tile and stop it cracking.

So: Any bright ideas out there for what to use? The best I've come up with so far is a cut down wall plug (and fingers crossed I get the size of the hole right so it doesn't expand as I drive the screw in!)

Reply to
GMM

Stick tiles with flexible adhesive onto a loose panel plywood, then use strong magnets to hold that in place?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Sunday 07 April 2013 20:02 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Glue the tiles to a sheet of ply and screw the whole panel to the frame.

1) It will be stronger; 2) Drill a clearance hole through the tile and let the screw sit in the ply.

Use flexible tile adhesive..

I did something similar for a panel behond the bog. As it will almost never need to be demounted teh screws have a blog of silicone rubber over the heads. They are disguised but easy to find if you are looking.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sunday 07 April 2013 20:10 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I like that idea...

But for extra simplicity, just glue a couple of small blocks on the base of the ply so that it locates into the frame.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Interesting suggestion. I had toyed with that but I was wondering how to judge the strength of the magnets. Presumably, the panel could be taken off with a suction pad, but would the tile adhesive be strong enough?

Reply to
GMM

Indeed - then the weight etc is supported by the blocks and the magnets don't have to be as strong.

Reply to
GMM

I used these for a similar project

Reply to
stuart noble

On Monday 08 April 2013 10:31 GMM wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You don't need magnets at all - if this is a shelf, it will sit under its own weight and the blocks locate it so it can't slip off.

Reply to
Tim Watts