Screwing into concrete

Have heard about screws that you drill a pilot hole and screw directly into a concrete floor - no raw plug so ideal for fixing floor boarding, skirting and the like.

But I can not find them in either Toolstation or screwfix in less that 75mm lengths - all described as for frame fixing.

I only want to fix 22mm floorboards to a concrete floor so am looking for something about 45mm or so.

Any suggestions?

--

Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

You can use ordinary screws/plugs if you tap the plug through the hole with the screw before tightening it. Depending on the plug, you may have to cut the lip off

Reply to
stuart noble

dom

ICBW but I'd have thought that you needed them to go into the concrete by more than 23mm in order to hold firmly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Same here - thinking about the springiness of floorboards. Even if hard down on a solid surface, the give in the wood and repeated compression will have an effect. Screws are only a friction fit (in the Antarctic, the buildings are bolted together as the thermal cycling loosens screws). Some of the reviews mention that the 'thread' in concrete won't survive many removals/replacements, so I'd go for a longer screw for more insertion - er, what's the subject? - for strength in the thread as well.

Reply to
PeterC

Reply to
Jim K

On Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:25:12 PM UTC+1, PeterC wrote: snip

how many removal/replaces will screws holding battens under flooring have to endure?....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Why couldn't I find them? Thanks

--

Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

Probably only screw in once, but did like the ability to easily remove the skirting boards.

But point taken about length - I'll go with the longer ones recommended by someone else at screwfix (unless I find similar in toolstation?).

--

Mark BR

Reply to
Mark BR

Screwfix search is utterly bizarre. I wanted a Drayton TRV and lockshield today (as I was doing an direct replacement). Searched for TRVs and saw none - only other makes. Then remembered that I had one in my basket - from there I could see my local branch had 8 in stock.

I get the impression that Screwfix website is now maintained by the jokers who do the B&Q website. Who else could keep making it worse and worse?

Reply to
polygonum

In article , polygonum writes

Think you must've broken something, just tried it and that combo in white TRV4 was on the top row with chrome TRV4 and RT212 lower down. Try clearing cookies?

Search site:diy.com in your favourite search engine to get round their ineptitude. Works for other sites of course, just drop the initial www.

Reply to
fred

OK - more exactly, I typed TRV and saw "trv and lockshield" offered, which I selected. That took me here:

It appears they have some under "lockshield" others under "l/s" - I sort-of made the assumption that their offered search term would cover the ground. It didn't.

Reply to
polygonum

Wood moves, how many fixings are you intending to put in?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One more than they'll withstand, of course.

Reply to
PeterC