Screwfix Trade Counters - how do they work?

I'm a long time regular Screwfix customer but haven't used one of their trade counters before.

What do I need - just a list of Screwfix ID numbers for the things I want to buy and hand that over the counter or do I have to fill in a little form like at Argos, or what?

Also what do the trade counters hold in stock - all the immediate delivery items or what?

Reply to
tinnews

I went in to one for the first time last week... they work in the same way as Argos, you go in, browse the catalog and write down the part numbers of what you want on a form (or you can save time on that step by bringing the part numbers of the items you want) take it to the skilled operative at the counter who invoices it and takes your payment, you then wait for another skilled operative to shout your 'number' (thats on your invoice) who then gives you the things you ordered.

All the things I wanted were in stock, they were common items though so I cant comment on the availability of all their stock.

Reply to
Cuprager

Exactly like Argos. They have counters like Argos with leaflets you fill in. Take it to the counter and pay, then someone will shout your order number from another counter. Mine (Glasgow) has always been empty when I go so hopefully they won't decide its not viable and pack up as the prices are great.

Reply to
Tony

Thanks all, just what I wanted to know.

Reply to
tinnews

It's like Argos, complete with chavs. I found it very inconvenient and time consuming to use and probably will not repeat the exercise.

An arbitrary set of stuff. You may or may not be lucky.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They'll want your postcode even if you just want a pack of screws. If you prefer they will just enter the postcode of their store, after a bit of persuasion.

Reply to
fred

I have a feeling you were being slightly sarcastic when you said skilled operatives? Can I just put in a plug for the staff at the Reading Screwfix - I have alwalys found them both knowledgeable and helpful, and they have on a number of occasions steered me away from clever purchasing decisions (10 packs of 10 when I only wanted 10) etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

Like Argos - form filling and waiting and waiting. I've used the new one at Croydon a couple of times, but taking into account traffic congestion and the in store time, I've decided it's better to pay the delivery charge and wait a day for a delivery!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

That is exactly why I have started using the trade counter. What a waste of a day waiting in for a signed package. Plus my last 2 deliveries had the wrong goods in them which was another day wasted waiting in for a package especially if you are in the middle of a job which I'd hazard a guess most folk are in when they need something from Screwfix.

Reply to
Tony

I learned the postcode of the Town Hall years ago, for this very purpose.

Reply to
Huge

On Fri, 04 May 2007 11:00:53 GMT someone who may be fred wrote this:-

I always respond to shop staff who ask me such a question that it is none of their business. If they insist then they can keep their goods.

Reply to
David Hansen

What grounds do they have for collecting that information, under the data protection act?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Like Argos as already said but don't be surprised if half the stuff you want is "still on the lorry" or somesuch. :((

Reply to
EricP

It depends on the seller. Most trade places do require a valid address these days. You then get a printed receipt that the taxman can't argue with. Horses for courses I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|!On Fri, 04 May 2007 11:00:53 GMT someone who may be fred |! wrote this:- |! |!>They'll want your postcode even if you just want a pack of screws. If you |!>prefer they will just enter the postcode of their store, after a bit of |!>persuasion. |! |!I always respond to shop staff who ask me such a question that it is |!none of their business. If they insist then they can keep their |!goods.

My general reply to shops wanting personal information is: "I get enough Junk Mail anyhow, why should I want yours" Hasn't failed yet :-) .

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I never thought I'd find myself defending Argos but - ou can order and reserve/pay online for collection at the local store. Or you can visit and order then pay via credit-card at a touch-screen console - no need for those paper pads and matchstick-size ballpoint pens any more.

Reply to
LSR

Heh, I use the post code of a "Top Seekrit Gummint Installation".

Reply to
Steve Firth

In the last few months Argos have started operating a just-in-time delivery policy to keep store stock levels at a minimum. Twice in recent months I have reserved items online and when collecting been told they are on the lorry and something about the computer counting goods in transit as at the store before 5pm on each day.

I no longer reserve or use Argos unless collecting the next day.

Reply to
EricP

In message , Dave Fawthrop wrote

Not screwfix, but when paying for goods recently I was asked "Do you have an email address"?

I politely just gave the one word answer "Yes"

It was 20 seconds before the shop assistant realised that I wasn't going to give her any more information on the subject :)

Reply to
Alan

Nice.

Reply to