Screwfix time switches

Anyone got or used one of the "Ranger 3" electronic timeswitches from Screwfix, code 12544 (p229 of cat #75). Its the one that fits next to a normal socket or wall switch plate. My question is suitability for use with CFL loads, i.e. the arrangements or otherwise for a neutral connection. Sometimes such devices are marked as not suitable for CFL loads as they rely on a dribble of current on the switched live to power themselves.

Same question for a plug-in one, 13481, above on same page.

Screwfix should take a leaf out of Farnell's book and put links to data sheets / instructions etc for their products. The catalogue and website descriptions are (of necessity) somewhat short.

Cheers

Reply to
Steven Briggs

In article , Steven Briggs writes

I've got them (from B&Q). they are made by Philex

Bit of a strange web site, but more info can be found by following the link Products, Product Range, Electrical, Timers and Plug-in accessories.

They work with CFL's - they take their power from an AA battery. They work in parallel(?) to the normal light switch ie you can switch the light on and off normally, but if the timer says the light is on, you can't use the switch to turn it off.

Not as good as the type that take their power from the lighting circuit, but the only thing I could find that woks with fluorescents.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

In message , Phil Hughes writes

Strange site indeed!

Now I just need to hit Screwfix when they're "open" and deem themselves able to serve their customers.

Cheers

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I use them on CFL's. I actually remove the normal light switch. You can use them as a normal switch by pressing the MODE button - on, off, auto, random. Mine take AAA batteries - very good they are too, as they will handle quite a high current and can be used on socket outlets.

Reply to
Doctor D

In article , Doctor D writes

What do have in its place - a blanking plate?

Yeh, your right - just checked and so do mine. Been going over 12 months now on one battery.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

One replaced a two gang switch, so I fitted a single gang. The other switch in the garage controls the outside lights, so, yes, I fitted a blanking plate. It saves confusion for the family with the other switches.

They last for ages on alkaline AAA's. The first sign of failure is that the lights don't come on!

Reply to
Doctor D