Screwfix tablesaw and customer service

About 9 months ago I bought the cheap (£40) Screwfix Ferm 8" tablesaw (19146). I don't like buying cheap tools, but I'd never owned a table saw before, and wasn't sure whether it would be a tool I use a lot.

For those of you not familiar with it, it has a 720W induction motor. Has a stated cutting capacity of 43mm.

I've used it maybe a dozen times so far - not a dozen cuts, many cuts per time, cutting nothing thicker than 1", and mostly soft pine.

Today the motor pretty much died - it still runs, but delivers very little torque. Not really of any use. So I call Screwfix, thinking there's a chance I could get it replaced under the (3 year) warranty.

They didn't even ask me what was wrong. All they asked was when I'd like it collected, and whether I want a refund or replacement. I was most impressed.

Needless to say I went for the refund. I'm now going to buy a big tablesaw, because I've discovered that I like them lots.

So, anyone have any experience of the Ferm 2000W 12" saw (92632)? Certainly looks the bizz. Any other recommendations for a similar product under £250?

Reply to
Grunff

I've no direct experience of it (or the type), but I've seen a fair number of kindly comments about that beast (their word not mine) It appears really good value

However given what I have been learning of late I'd also look over at Axminster first just in case they offer something which makes good sense before ordering one, but that aside, I'd certainly see it as a credible choice.

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Sounds like the belt is knackered or too loose.

Reply to
stuart noble

Direct drive. The motor is knackered.

Reply to
Grunff

The 8" Ferm is for light-duty use - and I mean _light_ duty. If you're cutting to the full blade depth, then it had better be balsa wood! More of a (useful) workshop gadget than a table saw - it doesn't even have a blade depth adjustment. Do remember that a halfway decent 8" blade is going to cost you about £15, so you can't expect too much at £40 for the whole kit.

I have one and it's been very handy, but it's not a table saw in any real sense of the phrase. I use it for cutting small 1" sq sections prior to turning pens. Bought because it's cheap enough to devote just to that and small enough to be kept right next to the lathe. The blade that came with it wasn't as bad as I expected, but the saw certainly performs better with a (smaller) good quality blade.

For a decent home workshop table saw, you're looking at £400+ - anything below that and you must expect to compromise in some way. Even if that's beyond your pocket see if you can get a demo of something like an Elektra or Kity - then at least you'll know what you're missing.

Not much help I know if you can't afford the real McCoy - and I can't either. I have a Clarke 10" table saw bought for about £150 a couple of years ago. Falls under the heading of 'good enough - just about'. Wouldn't dream of cutting to the full blade depth, especially with the very poor blade that came with it. But with a new blade (about £25) it's not half bad, as long as I remember what I paid for it. The Axminster catalogue shows a couple of similar saws in the £120-£220 range.

All just IMOHO, of course.

Geordie2

Reply to
Geordie2