Screwfix "Spur" brackets

Screwfix 220mm "Spur" brackets are advertised on their website as being 1.8mm guage (Spur standard) They're not they're 1.3mm

They cost £1.69 each for quantities between 10-40

All the "reviews" on the Screwfix website are for the spur system in general - nothing to do with Screwfixe's own very cheap implementation of it. Next to useless in other words.

Toolstation 220mm brackets are also 1.3mm but have a much deeper profile and cost £1.26 for any quantity.

Screwfix have one person serving and the rest hiding and take five minutes to find one box of brackets, which was subsequently returned as being not as described.

Toolstation have at least four people serving who get your order themselves usually within a minute of two.

Although they're only three doors away, drivers are facing Screwfix as soon as they enter the site - Toolstation is relatively obscure by comparison often obscured by parked vans. Location location location.

Neither unfortunately do 2060mm uprights hence the choice of the Wickes overpriced crap.

michael adams

michael adams

First I declare my interest I am Managing Director of Storage Solutions Ltd the British company that makes Spur and owns the registered trademarks Spur and Spur Shelving.

Spur shelving is manufactured in Great Torrington in Devon and available through a number of outlets but this does not currently include any of the big sheds.

You are correct in that there are cheap wall mounted systems on the market that are confused with our product and these are mainly brought in from the Near and Far East. Spur is actually a wide range of shelving products including industrial shelving but is best known for Steel-Lok wall mounted shelving. This product has slots on a 31.75mm pitch but we also do other slot pitches and configurations on other Spur wall mounted products

Many of the copiers sell items that are very weak, poor quality or both. We all have a choice, even though Genuine British made Spur is competitively priced and will last decades. It is available in standard or even bespoke colours and special sizes can be produced.

Our uprights are 2mm thick and made from cold rolled steel and the brackets are

1.5mm thick referring to the thinest part rather than as some competitors do by measuring over the bumps! Brackets made for thin gauge uprights tend to stick up in the air when used on our uprights and you can not mix uprights or brackets.

Spur products have been made in the UK for over 60 years. There is a good reason for that so make sure it is genuine!

Reply to
Peter Sully

Welcome back from the 2012 timewarp... how did you come across that old news post that you replied to?

Didn't you forget the predictable website link?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

My copy of thunderbird has been unearthing old posts for a few weeks. Nothing that old that I have noticed but several weeks old happens every few days. It may be the server, I haven't actually looked to see why its doing it.

Reply to
dennis

I've been buying Bohnacker bracketry, simply because it's in stock at my hardware supplier of choice locally. No complaints about the quality - every bit stamped 'Made in Germany' - although the components are more like the 1.3mm mentioned and certainly not 1.8mm.

The same stockist also has another make, but I'm not sure if it's Spur or not.

I'd have bought the other make if it wasn't so over-priced.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Our product is very competitive so if your hardware supplier contacts us he could be able to offer the best of both worlds.

Reply to
Peter Sully

A few years ago, I bought some of the heavy double-spur shelving, made in Germany, from one of the sheds, eventually I took it down and stored it away.

Recently I wanted to put it back up again along with some more, so went to the sheds to see the same sort of strips and brackets, still made in Germany by the same company ... EXCEPT they'd altered the slot spacing!

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Andy Burns writes

Ah yes, iSpur shelving, backwards compatibility has never been their strong point.

Reply to
fred

Not bought any for ages - but was the genuine stuff once available from Homebase? (Who never seemed to have the right lengths and colours in the same branch, meaning a circuit to get what I needed.)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have recently fitted shelving in my Garage after doing a lot of research due to having the incompatibility problems . I did check out the various "Twinslot" makes. I was going to use Toolstation but theirs is made by X Trade - a cheap Chineese products brand. I then found the type I had used first 40 years ago in my first house Spur shelving . They make the Spur Steel-Lok range and do not use the term 'twinslot'. When i made up my order to SPUR I was shocked to find i8t actually worked out very slightly cheaper than the same order (6 uprights , 18 brackets) for the inferior stuff from Toolstation. Even with delivery

Adrian TODD

How long was delivery? How is the quality?

I tried contacting Spur some time ago and never heard back from them. I have some walls I'd prefer to put genuine Spur shelving on.

Reply to
Graham Nye
Re: Screwfix "Spur" brackets open original image

Delivery was good, within the week. The quality is there - strong and accurate. I fitted it up in my garage, a run of 3 shelves 1m x 2.5m. These are fixed solid - they arn't going anywhere! Check out online at Spur

ado topp

Is the brand called 'iSpur' shelving and made in Germany? A bit cheeky as the old original locking shelving I bought in 1980's is Spur. British Made Since 1952

Reply to
ado topp

Thanks.

Reply to