Screwfix power planer

Bought one of these to do some doors. Jeez, that's a scary tool!

- Is it OK to fasten a sock or something over the exhaust to stop it blowing shavings *all* over the room? (Yes, I know it'll have to be emptied pretty often).

- How do you stop it making a little step in the end of the piece when the front foot drops off the end? Like this;

-------\________ | | |

-----------------

Reply to
Huge

Clamp an offcut of wood to the end. Then the offcut gets the step instead of the door. My planer came with a official sock to put on the exhaust.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My B&D came with a dust bag. Never use it, though.

Press down hard on the back while holding the front steady. Takes some practice. After that, you need to work out how to get a right angle face after a few passes. And tell me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

There's supposed to be a small sock like bag that goes over the exhaust, this fills pretty quickly though; or you connect it to your vacuum cleaner.

With lots and lots of practice :-) Seriously though, you have to anticipate when the plane is getting to the end and compensate.

Reply to
BillR

Naah. Just got an adaptor for a vacuum cleaner. I'll have to snarf some old tights from SWMBO.

I've been happily planing an offcut of skirting board into shavings...

Ta.

Reply to
Huge

Got a model/quote number? That's one I've missed apparently. (still at the wondering and plotting stage here)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

It's the "Ferm" 240V 710W one. About £80. Although the one that came is labelled "Freud" and the manual appears to have been translated from the Serbo-Croatian by a native Japanese speaker.

I looked at several in the local shed, including B&D and their own brand, which were much cheaper but distressingly toy-like.

It reduces skirting board to wood chippings very satisfactorily.

Reply to
Huge

Hopefully you intended to reduce the skirting board to wood chippings though..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

If this happens your blades are set wrong. The blades should cut to exactly the depth of the rear plate, and the plane runs off the end without any variation in height.

What to do about it is another matter, but if possible adjust the blades or drum position to cure it.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I have the Stayer one they do and it's exactly the same.

The Zero position is not zero!! It will still take a lot of wood off even on 0... plus it gouges the end or start no matter how you press down on it.

It's the only tool I've bought I don't "like".

If it could be set up to have a zero it might be more user friendly?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Quite. It came out of the kindling box...

Reply to
Huge

I think you've had a bit of a result there - you may have meant to get ferm, but got the freud, and it probably is a scary wee beast - I got their circular saw, and that has the same family trait! From my experience so far of owning tools from both makers, the Ferm and Freud, should be like chalk and cheese!

That sounds all too familiar as well!

82mm blade at a guess?

Was thinking that this might be the way of it.

I can well imagine if their CS is anything to go by! ;O) They rated it at 1200W, and I'm pretty sure they packed every single one of them in the box! [1]

Anyway, thanks for the mini performance report, most interesting. I'm wondering if their 1/2" router is a good as it might be too. If it is, I think I may be happy with that to replace the DeWalt I miss pretty badly!

[1] (you know how some seem to say they'll send you so many watts, but in reality it feels like they must have had a shortage of watts that day, and held on to half of them to put in the next machine coming down the production line?) ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Yes, but this requires some practice to apply maximum pressure to the back of the plane while lifting slightly - or at least taking the weight at the front, and this is different from how you use it on the rest of the run - or at least the start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

By elderly B&D allows a fair old adjustment of the blades, but it's a fiddly business. I use a straight edge and set the blades with a 1.5 thou feeler blade to give clearance at zero.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Which is obvious, once pointed out.

Thanks. More practice required.