Screwfix_moan

Now I'm not happy with Screwfix. It started when they sent me an Electricfix catalogue, then told me I was not an Electricfix desirable and would have to stand with the unqualified plebs wait my turn and pay extra for the privilege.

Every time I buy from Screwfix they ask for my name and postcode. As I often need bits when working away from home there is always the chance that someone with a mobile phone and criminal connections near my home might take advantage, it's a lot easier than looking at luggage labels in airports now that Ryanair have done their bit!

The final straw came in Aston on Friday, I had a quick job to attend to and needed a few tools to complete it. Scribbled out a ticket, collected a few consumables together while waiting for a staff member to show. I then waited.... and Waited. All this time I could hear loud sounds of mirth and joviality coming from behind the partition behind the serving area.

Unfortunately the mirth and merriment wasn't very infectious, I found my impatience building to the point where I walked out and left the bits and ticket on the counter.

Never again!

Reply to
Archibald

A sarcastic shout of "shop!" usually helps ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Write to head office.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It is not logical to condemn an entire company because of the stupidity of a handful of staff.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , Archibald writes

It's so they can put it with the right account, which is useful IMO as all my orders online or instore are altogether on my account. You could write it on the space on the order slip and point at that , memorise your customer number, say you don't want to give it or that you don't have a fixed address right now (they don't have to have it - there were some chaps in my local one the other day from Holland over here on a job and he did their order without address etc.) Or use website or the app on a smartphone to click and collect.

Rather unlikely IMO, but see above.

That is rubbish, but can't say it has ever happened to me, there is always someone behind the desk. Did you give a holler?

Reply to
chris French

In article , Archibald writes

You don't have to give them your own postcode.

Reply to
fred

There wasn't. There was some character at the service point assisting those that had managed to get their orders processed, that was it!

I must admit I didn't think of shouting. I wonder why Newey & Eyre, CEF, Edmunsons, the Plumb Center and all the others haven't stumbled on that technique. It's so antiquated having to use a bell push when a bit of baying & hollering does the trick.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

I don't use the local screwfix counter for exactly the same reasons. More staff than customers but no-one serving. It's almost as bad a JD Wetherspoon.

Reply to
alan

Don't you have a screwfix "number" that is used in the store and relates to the online account ? They gave me one written on a piece of card. It's toolstation that use the postcode, street number and name in my experience. They also have the useful basket reference number that can be printed off online and used in the store. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or just show em on your phone....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I do not have an account. I always pay by visa.

I never use any account anywhere, it takes too long to fiddle about with order numbers etc.

Now you mention it I think Toolstation do take details also. Toolstation did not send a catalogue inviting me to take advantage of preferential prices only to refuse to serve me at those prices because I didn't have some kind of acceptable card.

Basically it was the fact that the annoyances just built up to an unacceptable level.

Obviously those staff members enjoying their jolly japes weren't to know that myself and probably the others waiting also, were anxious to get on the move before the Friday gridlock started, but it does tend to show the amount of value and consideration placed on custom.

I won't go into the time I was lambasted by some Screwfix cretin in Dumfermline for parking "incorrectly" outside the store. This was in winter with all the markings covered in snow.

Anywhere else it's in, goods, a query as to if theres an order number followed by payment and exit. Although I'm never too sure what I'm going to pay at Newey's or CEF, at least I don't get penalised because I have the wrong kind of professional ID.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Might be a problem when paying by card as they check your address.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Never had that and how would they check the registered address of your credit card? Different for online orders for delivery of course.

I don't bother with my own name either and they've never spotted that the card and the account names don't match.

Reply to
fred