Screwfix low energy bulb sizes

Does anyone know how long the 'candle' bulbs are in Scewfix's range.

I have a lot of wall lights in my house with conventional (40w bayonet) candle shaped bulbs with little lightshades that sit on the bulb. I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy ones are too tall they will look silly.

Nick

Reply to
NickW

Hi personaly i would go to ikea as they noe stock low energy bulbs that match the bulb they replacr in size an shape. I have candle an small round ones from them and you wouldnt know once they warm up.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

My experience of candle shaped low energy bulbs is that there is still a way to go on sizes. I can't speak for the screwfix ones in particular, but the GE ones, which are good make, would look OK in a chandalier, but hopeless on a small light fitting. If you wait long enough, there might be LED types that could do the trick.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Is this recently? The only Ikea bulbs I've seen have been very cheap, but horrible looking prong based things that look nothing like lightbulbs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

About 3 weeks ago at the Bristol branch.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I had the same problem but found Philips (among others) do a 9W (40W equiv) bulb that has a much smaller glass envelope than a conventional bayonet GLS bulb.They are from the ambiance range. I replaced all my walllight bulbs with these just over a year ago as Tescos were then selling them for around £3.65 each.

You can see how they look:-

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

The 5w candles I have from the Leeds branch project 80mm and are 100mm long overall. They are a little fatter at about 35mm but are rated for 10000 hours. They do them in higher outputs as well, but this one is listed at 180 lumens.

They have some semi-opaque flexible membrane over the glass, presumably to contain any breakage should this happen. The only downside is the white plastic part has a lot of black printing on it which may be visible in some installations.

From memory, the regular shaped bulbs now seem to have traditional shape covering the usual coil arrangement.

Reply to
Toby

I removed the writing from my Screwfix bulbs with wire wool. Looks much better...

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Almost certainly not, I'd imagine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle
3w Screwfix candle bulb: 4.75" apx. Much longer.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

By the way, I just got a reply from Screwfix regarding the bulb sizes. They say that they can't publish sizes for their bulbs because their supplier is always changing.

Guess I'll have to go to a DIY shed or something and pay the extra 50p or quid a bulb.

I did order their R80 spotlight bulbs though

Reply to
NickW

Go to your local electrical wholesaler, prices will be similar to if not cheaper than Screwfix and you can see the sizes. I find my local Denmans Electrical is much the cheapest place to buy all sorts of bulbs. They have a minimum charge of £5 for non-account customers but that's hardly a problem.

Reply to
usenet

If you mean their CFL ones, unfortunately theyre bigger than standard R80s, and hang out somewhat. Dont look very good.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

One thing which annoys me about low-energy bulbs is the slow warm-upo time and tendency to flicker like a fluorescent strip when switched on (although nothing like as bad as they used to be).

I bought several from Screwfix recently on the basis that they were advertised as 'flicker-free'.

Yeah, right.... :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

"Lobster" wrote | One thing which annoys me about low-energy bulbs is the slow | warm-up time

I actually like that, especially in a bedroom. Horses, courses, etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Have you tried looking

?

They do various types; I bought some tiny eco-bulbs from them recently, first ones I've found which will fit inside my outside bulkhead fittings (which is great news as it's a PITA to change the bulbs - ladders/screwdrivers/rain/cold...!)

David

Reply to
Lobster