Screwfix lockshields + TRVs

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest lockshields that Screwfix do, however I'm a bit stumped.

Their angled radiator valves (16343-72) have a picture of a 2nd cover next to them, as if you can swap the covers from knob to lockshield. Nice at cheap at £1.29 each.

However, the Pegler valves (75592-72 and 93129-72) have separate items for knob valve and lockshield valve (and both £4.99).

Are the £1.29 ones suitable for use as lockshields? Also, should I find them cheaper at a local plumbing place, or is £1.29 a reasonable price?

Their cheap TRV's (10023-72 - £4.99) are these any good? The Pegler one looks nicer (19052-72) but costs £8.99. What's a reasonable price for a TRV? I'm planning on needing 5 or 6 of them (and also lockshields).

Thanks

David Hearn

One other thing - I haven't yet found any drain valves in my system (on radiators or visible pipework). I assume there would be on on the boiler (on the kitchen wall) - but the downstairs pipework runs under the floor, and I've not seen any valve running to the outside, so how can I drain the lowest part of the system?

When I put TRVs onto the radiators in the spring, is it worth putting in some radiator valves with drain off (Screwfix 11074-72) even when the pipework is lower than the radiators in places?

Thanks

David Hearn

No.

£9-10. try:
have decent Danfos valves. The heads for Danfos valves are easy available.
Reply to
IMM

David,

Considering that good valves are not expensive why skimp on them? A weeping valve is a pain to fix once youv'e finished all the decorating even though it is a simple job in a bare room where spills don't matter.

You tend to get what you pay for !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Well, 6 lockshields @ £4.99, 1 normal valve @ £4.99 and 5 TRV's @ £8.99 is £79.88. At the cheaper price for everything, its £33.98, under half the price.

I hadn't expected any to leak though - obviously, if their quality is so poor as to suspect a leak, then I wouldn't go for them.

True - though sometimes you do pay for a name - and I wasn't sure if it was the case with these fittings.

Thanks

David Hearn

When I moved the CH pump from downstairs (GF) to airing cupboard Fully pumped) I put a drain valve in the gap. Draing the system I just used to let the water run out into the space under the house.

Might be worth looking for a loose floorboard or access point or something. Just a thought.

Reply to
Pet

You what? You could damage your foundations doing that.

Reply to
IMM

Good grief!

Reply to
BillR

The first time you have to drain down the system to replace a faulty TRV you'lll regret fitting decent stuff... The Pegler ones are very good. I just fitted 5. They were on special offer at Plumbase inc the lockshield valve in the pack they were under a tenner a pack.

Reply to
BillR

And the £10-12 to refill with Sentinel inhibitor.

Reply to
IMM

Buying cheap radiator valves, be they lockshields or TRVs really is a false economy.

The better quality lockshields like the Pegler range are certainly worth the money, as are the better quality TRVs such as Drayton or Invensys.

The longer lifetimes as well as the reduction in leaks that always seem to happen from cheap valves more than compensate the difference.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not necessarily true, and possibly not at all. Old wifes tale even. About

5 years ago I put in a system and specified Danfoss RAS-D TRVs. They were commonly available but not the lockshields. Because I wanted the finish to match I specially ordered them. After a couple of years the lockshield valve spindles started to leak. It got so bad that I eventually replaced them all with "cheap" Boss brand which haven't leaked and the Boss brand TRV's on a later phase work fine. I stripped the Danfoss lockshields and virtually all spindle 'O' rings were perished. So much for quality.

Alan

Reply to
Alan James