Screwfix laser levels - any good?

Has anyone bought any of the cheaper laser levels from Screwfix, are they any good? Is there a better/cheaper place to get them?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

b&q are cheaper, 25 quid

Reply to
abraham

the ones I have on ebay at present are probably at least as good as screwfix and less than b and q at present, but only a few mins to go. I take the liberty of putting a link in: to keep it short go to ebay and look for item:

4321300479

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I regularly borrow that exact tool and your description of it is very fair and accurate.

Reply to
EricP

If only I'd seen your reply sooner :-(

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

There is another one listed now:

4322668169 I must admit I hope it makes more than the last, I lost money on that one!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thank you. I can't see the point in misdescribing, it will only annoy buyers.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Expect you will; after the subtle advert you'll probably have half of uk.d-i-y chasing it now!

Incidentally, to the OP, Aldi sometimes stock these things as well; no idea about quality but pretty sure they're cheaper than Screwfix if that's the main criterion.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Focus (or was it Homebase) had the exact same model as the Aldi one, for about 2.5* the price. The laser is only 1mw however.

Then again, you can't really obtain useful lasers for them. I want one that you can level it off to a nice level with the bubble level, turn the laser on, traverse it, and you've made the cut.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just out of curiosity, what colour is the laser beam from these things.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my items on eBay:-

troubleinstore

The laser colour is usually (alwaya?) red, I expect that red lasers are cheap to make, must be annoying if you are clour blind though.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As the enhancement goggles are red, I'd say red.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are two colours - both red. However the long wavelength red is cheaper to make, and thus ubiquitous. The short wavelength red is at a more sensitive part of the eye's reception and appears brighter for the same power. You'd need to buy a Leica or something to get one.

There might be green ones before too long. Cheap non-red diode lasers are getting much cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't have one but used one once. Always found myself needing to make a mark at the beam point which was well out of reach. Someone needs to make one which has a momentary beam power boost button; 1kW pulse should be enough for the beam to burn a small mark on most things ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Of course laser levels are no more accurate than a level + long straight edge since it all comes down to the bubble. Best long distance level is a water tube. I made one from a old bit of hose with some clear plastic tubes I had (eprom carriers to be precise). You need a good seal and to make sure there is no air trapped as you fill it (i.e. raise both ends so it is a smooth curve down and back up. With that I can get say a 10m wall level +/- 1mm.

Reply to
Malcolm Reeves

> id=yorkie_8&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

Exactly Mrcheerful, looks like I shall have to stay with the old methods.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

View my items on eBay:-

troubleinstore

The 1950's chinese nuclear reactor type protection/enhancement goggles are red for the rotary laser level bought just two days ago. 5 watt output with horizontal and vertical adjustment. 19.99 plus vat.

Reply to
dave

In message , dave writes

Ouch ????????????????????????

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bill writes

Prolly for sensing levels remotely on the moon

Reply to
raden

Flippin heck! What ever you do don't turn it on without eye protection for everyone in the room. The scatter from that could easyly damage eyes, permenantly.

I suspect that there is a lowercase "m" missing... even so thats still quite a pokey laser wouldn't want to look directly at that either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice