Screwfix Hitachi cordless SDS - any good

Too early to tell the real lifetime of these beasts I know but has anyone any experience of the Hitachi 24V SDS Screwfix currently have on offer:

was tempting at £250 but now it's down to £200 I'm in serious danger of nabbing one.

Reply to
YAPH

Could be nice for the man who has everything and plenty money, but just how often would you use a cordless SDS? I can see it being useful for a satellite dish fitter etc, but for DIY? My SDS gets most use for chiselling, and I doubt the batteries would last long doing that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given what John does does for a living, I can see it being ideal (a decent 18V combi drill costs more!)

The corded Hitachi SDS drills are very good. That one seems to get good reviews on the SF site as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

It has roto-stop mode which some of the cheaper cordless sds seem to miss out on (well the bosch do).

I want one for fossil hunting!

Reply to
dom

I was looking the other day at battery SDS drills until I saw the prices...

I'm not quite sure how you "Save =A3100" as shown in the banner above the image when the "was" price is shown as =A3249.99 and the current price =A3199.99...

For me anytime I want to drill a hole in the walls. The battery hammer drill driver can hardly scratch the surface. Running a mains extension is a PITA if outside but not sure if it's a =A3200 PITA. B-)

2AHr ones supplied but two of them, I wonder what the battery life is like and how does the 1.7J impact energy compare?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

I have an old Bosch 12V SDS which is capable of drilling 3 or 4 10mm holes to about 3" deep on a charge - when the battery is in good condition, of course. Just the job for something you know will only need that amount of energy - and the spare battery takes up no real room in a pocket, if necessary.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What capacity batteries? They'd need to be 4AHr to store the same energy as 2AHr 24V ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

2kg class mains drills usually do a tad over 2J. The Hitachi mains ones pushing just under 3J
Reply to
John Rumm

I abused a Hitachi 24V SDS cordless for 3 years before it died. It was the best cordless SDS drill I have ever owned. It was not the model that the OP is looking at (similar but no chisel action), and it was better than any DeWalt, Makita, Hilti or Bosch SDS that I have ever used.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

These are pretty old - Istr they're only about 2Ah.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've got an Hitachi steel sheet nibbler. Quite a rare tool and obviously pro. Has that air of quality about it and the only other power tool I have that sort of matches it is my Fein Multimaster. Difficult to explain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not often enough that I've been seriously tempted to pay twice what the Hitachi's currently going for, but often enough that it would be quite nice to have when I've got to fix down a WC pan to a solid floor, stick a hole through a wall or whatever, and it takes almost as long faffing about with mains extension cables as doing the job itsef! And particularly for the very few occasions when I've got to work up a ladder where a trailing mains cable is particularly unwelcome.

I'd keep my mains SDS too, for more sustained drilling and particularly hammering/chiselling where I'd probably be forever juggling batteries with the cordless.

Practically, one of the real issues is where I'd *keep* the damn' thing since the van's full of toadstools[1] and the carry case it comes in has the rather pathetically bloated size compared to its contents you usually get on toy DIY stuff ("look what a bit tool I've got!" - the powertool equivalent of rock stars' socks stuffed down the trouser crotch :-))

[1] There's not mush room inside ;-) (Who remembers Lonny Donegan's "My old man's a dustman"?!
Reply to
YAPH

And what are Gor Blimey trousers?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dunno but if you Google for it you find some discussion and speculation.

Reply to
John Stumbles