Screwfix Harmonized cable not dated

Part P.

Reply to
Huge

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ah yes, use to have something like that for smaller wires.

On the sheath stripping, the Cable Slitter tool I mentioned is probably the best general purpose tool I've come across. It does need setting up (width and knife depth) but it covers a fairly large range of flat cable which the automatic versions don't.

It is basically just employing the Stanley knife method, but with inherent protection over slicing the conductor insulation. And if you have a tough old bit of cable, slicing both sides makes it easier to remove the sheath sometimes.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Can't see it makes any real difference. Unless you surface wire stuff, a cable date stamp is not visible anyway in the vast majority of cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just a suggestion as to the reason people are interested.

Reply to
Huge

You can always do like-for-like replacement after Part P with new cable.

I'm very fortunate that in 1932 someone wired my kitchen with about 20 sockets :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd like to be able to buy double glazed units with no date stamp

Despite that, still seen surveyors asking if the windows were new (post

2002) or not, despite being obviously not...

:)

Reply to
Tim S

I imagine that providing you ask the right supplier in the right way, they are available.

And even if they aren't, well who actually cares? Since you can buy liability insurance for house sales for a couple of hundred quid, it's likely cheaper to ignore the building regs and buy the insurance.

And no-one's moving house any more, anyway. :o(

Reply to
Huge

Or, when you move, just answer any such questions with "I don't know".

Reply to
John Rumm

Does this mean in theory you need some sort of 'pro' to replace a damaged double glazing panel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stuff this Part P.

I have no intention of selling my house and it's nobody else's business how I wire any electrics, plumb any piping or do any (internal) alterations.

I seriously can't see why it's any business of this guvmint what colour scheme I adopt in my house.

After I'm gone any perceived problems of selling the house lie with the executors, who are solicitors and I can't give a damn - I'll be in a box 6 feet (or should that be 1·8288 metres?) under...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Absolutely. And I'd guess any work you do is likely to be of as good or better a standard as someone with the right bit of paperwork.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Owain coughed up some electrons that declared:

So I hope you are still maintaining like for like with 5A and 15A sockets!

:)

Reply to
Tim S

Frank Erskine coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm doing Part P under a building notice partly because it's a full rewire and partly because I've got so many other jobs that officially need notification.

After that, I don't suppose I'll be much bothered for the odd job. I certainly wouldn't bother with any of the Part L bollocks if it were just that involved.

Oh - and if some bastard ever tries to make plumbing notifiable ("bluewater" or "clearwater" (I forget) scheme was mentioned as a possible pilot to this by someone I met last weekend) then, well that will be it; they can stuff the whole bloody lot then!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

You should open a museum featuring the world's first domestic ring main.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No, you can "repair" a window to your hearts content without any encroachment of regulatory hangers on.

Reply to
John Rumm

Right. So if anyone queries just when a window was fitted because of date stamps you can say you replaced all the panels after seal failure.

All is fair in love and war...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed... and replaced the frame a week before due to uPVC rot ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I like 5A sockets :-)

2A ones get used for the 100V in-house tannoy wiring.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's usually because they use one picture to illustrate all variants of a connector, from 2 way to 20 way. In the paper catalogue all are shown together under one picture, but they're listed separately in the online version. It's so you can't complain that you order a 10 way because that's what was in the picture, when the description is telling you that part number is a 3 way.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

That would be OK if the words "Image for illustrative purposes only" approximated even slightly to the meaning that was intended. But they don't. And complain you can.

Reply to
Mike Barnes