Screwfix Harmonized cable not dated

All

Just bought 25 metres of 1.5 m to 'move' the lighting cable in the loft out of the way of my new 270 mm of loft insulation. The drum is stamped 170608 but the cable does not have a date. There is a code after 'BASEC' of 078 but this is after the date stamp on the drum. HAs anyone else noticed this. PS It's not very nice cable, very difficult to slit the outer sheath with a stanley knife. How do other people remove the outer cable sheath without taking off their fingers too ?.

Andrew

Reply to
ad

Cable stripping - snip into the end with your wire cutters such that you can access the earth wire. Grab the earth wire with pliers, and holding the end of the cable with your fingers, just pull down the earth wire and it will split the outer sheathing as far as you want. Then just cut off the sheathing.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I thought everyone knew that !!!!

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

With practice you can use the side cutters to pull the wire as well - no need to change to the pliers that way.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham saying something like:

Traditional method - but you'll get some know-all coming along and telling you you can't do that any longer as it puts a strain on the centre conductor and it might break. Funny thing is, I've never found a broken centre conductor that was ever caused by this practice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon coughed up some electrons that declared:

I've just been formally taught this method on the mini-course I'm doing (exams for VRQ/EAL Level 2 this weekend).

However, I find I prefer (given a lot of upcoming work):

?title=Image:AutoSheathStripper.jpgCheersTim

Reply to
Tim S

without having to split it anyway.

FWIW I don't like that type of stripper for doing singles- and I've got just about every type made. My favourite type is:-

Dave Plowman (News)

favorite piece of legal speak, "Image for illustrative purposes only" WTF do they intend that to mean?

Reply to
Graham.

I don't 'know' so I can't be a know-all, but I've never done this because I feared it would put a strain on the centre conductor. It's always seemed bad practice to me.

Bah humbug.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

WYSINNWYG

(what you see is not necessarily what you get)

Reply to
neverwas

Well, just try breaking a scrap piece. You'll not find it easy. I tend to start with a cut down the middle then pull out the ECC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if you consider how wire is made in the first place, by drawing it through a hole in a die, tugging it out of the side of a pvc cable is nothing!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have seen an electrician cursing a batch of T&E precisely because the earth wire snapped when he did just that. Might have been faulty, or just not the same as his usual supplies. It was quite a long time ago.

And I have managed to do it myself - but I dismissed that as being my cack-handedness - maybe pulling it out too fast (or slow)/at a bad angle/something else wrong.

Reply to
Rod

If you use cutters to pull it, then you usually snip the end off afterwards so that you are not using the bit that is bent and dented from the grabbing and pulling exercise.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, that's true but drawing copper will work harden it so it should be annealed after the drawing process, and one assumes that poor quality ECC that breaks is inadequately annealed which might well lead to the cable itself breaking at some stage of the installation process if it is being pulled through a narrow space or the likes. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

How not to do it...

the force of the blade leaving the cutting off of the white outer sheathing,did it hit him in the face?

Reply to
George

Shhh there have to be some secrets.

Reply to
dennis

Me too, I usually split it by nicking both sides of the outer sheath with side cutters and pulling the 2 thicker conductors apart.

I never liked to strain the earth wire that much.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Make sure the cable is not twisted. Use a Stanley knife across the end of the cable and run it down with the blade on one sideof the earth condictor and angled towards it so that the sharpening angle on the blade is parallel to the earth conductor. Hope you can see what I mean.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Why the interest in the lack of date stamp anyway?

Reply to
John Rumm