Screwfix, get in quick...

Well as they said their site was up this morning ok. I thought I'd risk it, figuring the backlog must have gone by now. Put together most of an order, left it to come back later, bugger they closed it again for anymore orders today. Though it says they will be back up later for orders for Wed delivery.

I guess it's better than taking orders they won't be able to fulfil on time

Reply to
chris French

You know it makes sense!

;-)

Christian.

P.S. I bet with the number of screwfix customers' business they must be getting at the moment, they'll be a bit busy in the warehouse department themselves...

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It would be nice if the left the site there, and just disabled the ability to place the order. At least that way you could still research products and add items to your basket for later purchase.

Reply to
John Rumm

The catalogue inventory is at about the level Screwfix were a few years ago. They currently have a minimum charge amnesty.

The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I gave up keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a few things are only done by S/fix :-(

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Makes one wonder how the F*** we all managed before the internet came along....

Are you seriously saying that you can only order some products from an online mail-order shed ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Not sure what you mean by minimum charge amnesty. Does this mean free delivery without having to spend 45 quid? If so, does it say this on their website anywhere, 'cos I can't find it.

Reply to
Set Square

It's a question of time, and fitting the most things into it in the most effective way.

We managed without mobile phones as well but they have become a valuable tool for most people to be able to organise their work more effectively.

The internet and mobile phones are like sex. Before you've tried them, you wonder what all the fuss is about. Afterwards, you can't live without.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's in big bold letters plastered all over the site. Read the banner at the top.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thats would mean rework of the website, and that is very likley to go wrong. The simple banner page is easy to do, and do corectly.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

And just like sex, some people become manic about them and want to do were ever, when ever....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

While I use the internet heavily I've really never found much use for a mobile phone. I have one and it gets used about two or three times a year (yes, really!). For that reason I have it on a Virgin PAYG account so it costs nothing when I don't use it.

Reply to
usenet

You mean you're the one person in the UK without a crate load of their catalogues :-)

Bet Screwfix are wishing they hadn't spent money on those TV adds 2 weeks ago now.

Reply to
G&M

"Ed Sirett" wrote | The only problem is that my wish list is on their website: I | gave up keeping paper lists a couple of months ago! Quite a | few things are only done by S/fix :-(

Is it worth ten quid to do a subject data access request on S/fix to get the info ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes; if you want next day delivery. Otherwise it's a matter of settling things between you and the middleman there and then and taking immediate delivery without employing extra people and processes on the way.

Think where we would be if we all went back to that sort of thing.

Yes, I DO know.

At home or at work using the damn things.

But that's beside the point!

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

But ATM people are not getting them next day, nor the day after that either, rather than getting off the gluttonous maximus people are complaining about not being able to order stuff. ....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Me too, mine is strictly for emergencies, and is always switched off unless there's family trouble about.

I call my answering machine occasionally to keep the account alive.

I hope I never use it, the only numbers in it are breakdown insurance and next of kin,

I'm totally baffled by the mobile phone culture - except for tradesmen, and I even know one who won't accept calls on his mobile, they cause too much disruption to earning a crust.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message , Andy Hall writes

Indeed. I've got various things I want to get to complete some projects over the next couple of weeks or so. Sure I can buy them locally, but I will either have to go to 3-4 different establishments around town to get them - or trek right across town to the B&Q Warehouse, and probably pay more. and of course this takes time out of the day.

Sticking in an online order, in evening is just so much easier (when it works.....)

Reply to
chris French

For some people, especially kids, it's certainly cultural.

It's an important business tool as well. I spend a lot of time travelling around the rest of Europe on business and it has become a pretty essential tool to maintain contact with business partners and customers by voice, text message and even internet connection when there is no alternative. Introduction of wireless LAN hotspots has made a big difference to staying in contact by email etc., and increasingly hotels have hotspots or wired high speed internet connections. Business applications have expanded to make use of these technologies so they become an essential part of daily life.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

And I'd also like to be able to buy a mobile phone without any "features", please.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe it *was*. But I still can't see it! Is it *still* there?

Reply to
Set Square