Screwfix expansion?

I've recently seen signs in Ediburgh and Falkirk for Screwfix Direct (Open 7 days). Opening Soon. Looks like they have discovered there are punters living north of Stockport.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

If it is anything like the Doncaster branch that opened last month then do not expect them to stock the items you want.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, you want one like the Reading branch, which has rarely been out of stock for me (I did once have to swap one brand 2 port zone valve for another, though).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I thought about ordering what I wanted off the internet site with next day delivery and having it delivered to the Doncaster branch. I was told by the Doncaster staff it takes 3 days to get the items in from store to store and as I am at work when the postie calls, I thought I would let the Donny staff sign for the parcel and then collect it from them. I might still try it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Having been to the Croydon branch today, for the first and hopefully last time, I shall be ordering on line for home delivery in future. Out of stock and waiting just like Argos!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Out of interest, what size are these branches (Croydon, Doncaster, etc.) Perhaps a small size is why they have limited stock?

FWIW, the Reading branch is effectively a substantial warehouse with a small "Argos" style shop attached.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

At least with Argos you can sit at home and check the items you want are in stock at any branch you choose . Even when you get to the branch you can still check the stock before committing yourself to a wait in a queue.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Likewise with Hull. Even down to them taking the money and then finding they dont have it in stock.

Was astonished at just how small the place was.

Reply to
shaun

I have only tried the Reading branch once, about 2 weeks ago, and they didn't have the cement mixer I was after. Normally

2 kept in stock, but both were sold. I have always had success at the Luton branch (but not tried buying a cement mixer there).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can imagine it, being stuck behind a fat woman in a shell-suit pushing a triple baby buggy and wondering what she wants a set of drain rods for.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The policy in the Bristol trade counter is that if they don't have something in stock it'll be ordered via mail order for you... and delivered free.

Note however that they often need reminding that this is in fact their policy.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ensuring there isn't a fourth baby? Oops, sorry.

Reply to
rrh

The Doncaster branch could never be called a warehouse.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I went to the place a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon. Despite there only being about 6 customers in there, service was incredibly slow - the whole exercise took nearly an hour from going in there.

I wrote to their HQ and suggested that they fix this, a simple solution being to be able to order on line, with stock check made followed by payment. Then goods ready for collection say an hour later to give them time to pick them.

To be fair, they did have everything I wanted, but I won't go there again until they fix this unless in a dire emergency - wastes too much of the day.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I find that by far the biggest drawback of using Screwfix: OK, they'll deliver to any address, which works OK if you have a fixed workplace they can deliver to - but if not, it's a PITA having to commit to being in one place potentially from 8am til 6pm on delivery day. I wonder how many tradesmen they lose because of that. I'd probably double my order volume if there was a way round it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

They could integrate their on line and trade counter businesses such that one could pre-order and collect at the trade counter to save the huge waste of time that trade counters entail.

They could let the customer nominate the carrier to use from a selection and collection arranged from the local depot of the carrier by the customer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Its a real PITA waiting for deliveries. All the tech they have these days you'd think they could, if requested, offer some sort of service that when the driver is say an hour away from delivering yours you could get a phone call or text then go and wait rather than hanging around all day -(

Reply to
tony sayer

Absolutely... I'm often able to do that if the driver is an employee of the firm I'm ordering from, eg a builder's merchant or internet white good supplier - works fine; but I'm sure there are no courier/delivery type companies who do it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Actually, wasn't there a fledgling service a couple of years ago where you could get stuff (not Screwfix) delivered to your local 'late shop' or something? Can't recall details but didn't Maplin subscribe to it? Presumably must have died a death.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Another story of what people are willing to pay for. Most of these suppliers have "free" shipping using standard level services and that part of the market is highly competitive. Are people willing to pay say £15 for greater delivery convenience and control?

I'll give you an example. A couple of weeks ago, while travelling I was assembling an order to RS for various stuff - the shopping basket had grown to about £150 worth. Some of it was stuff I needed for the weekend and normally if that's the case, I close off the basket on Wednesday and go for free shipping or Thursday and pay £12 (I think it is) for next day (i..e. arrives on Friday).

This time I forgot and instead paid £15 for Saturday AM delivery. That worked except that when I received the box there was an item in error. To be precise, it was a relay on a DIN base to fit into a consumer unit case that I needed to have to complete a project on the weekend. The relay was in the package, sealed in a bag with part number but no base. I had ordered it carefully and the web site illustrated relay and base together for whatever price. Moreover, there was nothing in the description that indicated that the base was separate and giving the part number. Normally that's what they do.

So I called their customer service on the Saturday morning and had a whinge. After a bit of faffing, they did agree that the web site was misleading and agreed to let me have the base free of charge and would send it out - probably to arrive on the following Tuesday. I explained that that wasn't going to work because I needed the base that day to complete the project. Next came the offer to refund the original shipping. Nope, no good either. Next offer was that I could collect from the trade counter at Heathrow (hour and a half round trip to do that; so no and what could they do to meet what they had agreed to supply and address their mistake that day). Following offer was I could pay for a courier delivery. No. Half of it? Not really. In the end, the lady went off and found her supervisor and called me back 5 mins later. They would not only refund the original shipping cost but would send the item by courier at their cost. 45 mins later it was in my hands.

I don't think that one could better that for service. What counts is what happens when something goes wrong. I would have been perfectly happy to have paid the original £15 for that matter and it certainly explains the value of paying a little more and getting service which works.

Reply to
Andy Hall