Screwfix Drywall Fixings..

Apart from the price, does any know what the difference is between these two items...

thanks, Roy

Reply to
RzB

about half the cases, they ended up damaging the pasterboard as I tightened the screw.

I've found this type to be far better:

Grunff

David

Reply to
Lobster

Andy Hall

Yes, I have those too, and they're very good. I tend to use the plastic ones for light stuff (e.g. hanging a picture) and the metal ones for heavier things (e.g. curtain poles).

Reply to
Grunff

Look at the images and text. One has single point and parallel thread tips, the other 3 points and conical thread tips. Different manufacturer with different, presumably trade, marked names.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gents, Many thanks for the responses..

This type has been recommended to me by the guy doing my plastering...

I have had a wall (brick, breeze block, plastered, but a mess) dry lined with dabs of some "glue stuff" and plaster board. I will be hanging kitchen units on this wall.. The plasterer has made sure there are generous dabs where the wall cupboard fixings are to go.

I guess I might get away with normal fixings but just longer?

Roy

Reply to
RzB

I would certainly not want to use them to hang kitchen cupboards from. They pull out of the plaster too easily.

If the plasterer made sure there is plasterboard adhesive where the fixings will go, then it's easy - just use 4" long screws and normal plugs.

If you find areas without adhesive, my choice would be to cut back the plasterboard around the area, and fill it with one-coat. Once that's gone off, drill and fix.

Reply to
Grunff

Hmm - not sure the different text gives a lot away.. and two extra points for a 50% hike in price... :-)

Roy

Reply to
RzB

"Grunff" wrote >

Hmmm - so what sort of plugs do I use with a 4" screw?

Many thanks for your help.

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Big ones :-)

Another solution is to use injection fixings.

You drill holes 2mm larger than the threaded stud, clean them and inject the special resin. The studs are screwed in and the resin left to cure for a few hours. For an item like a cupboard with fixed centres a template should be made.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm - yes I'm familair with that mechanism but it seems a bit overkill for kitchen cabinets!!!

These are the brackets that fit to the wall...

Perhaps I could get away with 3" screws and use these...

RzB

The type used with frame fixings, like

?id=56427&ts=42324
(the Fischer ones are excellent quality)

You're most welcome.

Reply to
Grunff

D'oh... I must be loosing it - I have just purchased some of them to fit a door lining into Thermalite blocks...

They are 8x120.... As you can see...

the holes in the brackets will need opening up a bit unless I can get some slightly smaller diameter versions...

I'll look around for these tomorrow...

Many thanks for your help. Roy

Reply to
RzB

The trade names. B-)

I didn't look that closely. Anyway they are not suitable to hang kitchen cupboards on. Take the already offered suggestions of a normal screw into the real wall behind the plasterboard.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends. Are the walls brick or Thermalite blocks?

I tried using some frame fixings to make attachments into some for a cupboard and was not comfortable with the strength of the result.

This was with fixings similar to one of the ones that Grunff listed

don't have a lot of expanding plastic at the tip.

The Fischer ones do and would be fine, I suspect

that frame fixings are normally for going sideways into masonry and the item being fixed is normally fitted into an opening and can't be pulled directly outwards. Really all that this type of fixing has to do is to be able to stand some sideways force on occasions.

Admitedly a fixing for a cupboard has to mainly stand sideways forces also, but there is the possibility of pulling out and I feel more comfortable with something more substantial.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Kitchen upper cupboards need to be attached to the breezeblock (assuming that's the inside leaf of the cavity :-) through any plaster.

For my own design of kitchen cabinet I use a long cleat of 300x18 WBP plywood ripped at 45 degrees with one half attached to the wall with frame fixings, e.g.:

the other screwed and glued to the cabinet so that the 45 deg. section acts a hook. The wall cleat is levelled round the room with a laser-level. Then I put more frame fixings through the cabinet to the wall.

You can climb up my cabinets, or use them for calisthenics! Think about how much a full earthenware dinner service weighs.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

Many thanks to all for the very good advice...

BTW - I emailed Screwfix to find out the differences... here is the answer..

"Quote 11595 ( Metal Easi-Driver ) is supplied to us by a Swiss company called 'MUNGO' and Quote 11923 ( Metal Redi-Driva ) is supplied by a French company called ITW Spit."

So there you have it - French 50% more expensive!

Roy

Reply to
RzB

That's really surprising. Normally the boot is on the other foot.

Reply to
Andy Hall