Screwfix DeWalt SDS drill £50 off

It's a bloody good drill for light use. Looks like no carrycase is included.

Reply to
ARW

Three function as well. Good deal that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No low-speed gear? Are modern controls _that_ good?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

IME, the gearing on SDS drills is so low that there'd be no advantage to a lower gear. And the speed controls, esp bearing in mind their ridiculous simplicity, are very good.

Reply to
Scott M

Most SDS drills top out at about 900 - 1k rpm - which equates to the slow gear on a "normal" drill anyway.

If you get a good one, then yes the speed controls are very good. Particularly noticeable in hammer only mode, where you can go right down to a delicate "just chip through the plaster skim" tap.

Reply to
John Rumm

yup, think my aldidl sds tops out at about 600 rpms, but i never use it that fast,

Quite often i have the speed control dial jobbie on the lowest it will go (just locks out how far the trigger can be pressed to allow a semi fixed speed)

i say semi fixed speed, as i notice as the drill warms up in use, it gets faster, to start with if i select lowest speed, it wont quite begin turning, so i have to turn the speed up a little, then it slowly goes faster, so i turn the speed back down, and if i am doing repetative things it'll be fine, but if i put the drill down for a bit, when i come to use it again, it'll do the 'not quite going to start' thing again,

but that was mainly when i was using it as a paddle to mix concrete in a wheelbarrow, made up a diy paddle from a length of threaded rod and some bits of metal bar, i know you shouldnt use a normal drill as a paddle mixer, but i figured the heavy sds was better than a normal hand drill, and it's still going strong,

Reply to
Gazz

Another one...

HR2470 Makita SDS+ Hammer Drill (Chiselling Action) + Cap inside £101.99 including VAT

2.4 Joules v 1.8 Joules of the DeWalt.

The Makita's extra Joules come in handy if you meet hard stuff from experie nce. The Dewalt is however 0.3kg lighter, which is noticeable after 20mins-1hour .

Reply to
js.b1

I have one of those, mine came with (but I assume you can buy separately) a standard chuck as well as the SDS chuck.

I wish they made a right angle chuck to fit it too, I don't need it frequently enough to buy a dedicated right angle drill, and the reviews of bolt-on right angle chucks never seems encouraging ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Another one...

HR2470 Makita SDS+ Hammer Drill (Chiselling Action) + Cap inside £101.99 including VAT

2.4 Joules v 1.8 Joules of the DeWalt.

The Makita's extra Joules come in handy if you meet hard stuff from experience. The Dewalt is however 0.3kg lighter, which is noticeable after 20mins-1hour.

Sure about that Joules bit

Looks like Screwfix have it wrong

Reply to
ARW

Speed controls have worked well for years. Its just that if you run the motor slow you don't get any cooling from the fan. They are fine for a short while and then get really hot.

Some tools have a separate fan motor so run cooler even on slow.

Reply to
dennis

No-load speed 1500RPM. ISTR ordinary ones are usually about 2500 in top and 900 in low...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I actually wrote and deleted a query re 1.8 Joules - that was a B&D SDS 3-mode from a while back and "a bit slow". Under the DeWalt brand that would be odd - easy enough to open the manual in the store and hand back if not happy.

Reply to
js.b1

thanks for the tip. Got one, but no job for it yet. No carrycase or accessories, and a flimsy plastic depth stop, but it does all 3 functions.

NT

Reply to
meow2222