Screwfix deliveries (not again!)

Hi,

still awaiting my Saturday delivery and had quite an informative chat with the help desk at Screwfix.

I had assumed that the carrier of choice picked up the goods from Screwfix and then distributed them via their central hub to local hubs for final delivery.

If I understood correctly, Screwfix actually undertake the first part of this delivery, and deliver orders to the local distribution hub of the chosen carrier.

Thinking about it, it does make sense. You deliver to the best local hub for each region, using different carriers for different regions, and even different carriers for different types of delivery.

If you decide to change carrier, you just do the same run but drop off at a different local hub.

My deliveries normally come via Parcelforce, who are a little too good in that they usually deliver before 08:00 and get to see me in my nightshirt :-).

The (intended) weekend delivery is via Lynx.

According to the help desk, as far as they can tell at the moment the delivery left their warehouse but did not arrive at the Lynx local hub for my region.

Sadly, this means that if I had opted for a Monday delivery then I would probably have the goods by now, but then if I was psychic I wouldn't be typing here, I would be spending my winnings at a safe resort somewhere.

Maybee you already knew about this delivery strategy, but I thought I would mention it anyway because when we blame the carrier for non-delivery it may in fact be the Screwfix first leg which is to blame.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

If you'r big enough that you can pack a lorry full with your goods every day to go to each hub, then that can be a reasonable deal, as the cost of the lorry and the fuel is quite small.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My most recent order (last Tuesday) arrived in two boxes from Parcel Farce and one from another carrier. It threw the wife completely who jokingly accused the second driver of leaving a parcel on the van and had to do a re-visit, needlesstosay he was not blessed with a sense of humour (or grasp of English apparently!) Not sure how this helps Screwfix save money - especially when the third box only contained three IP55 connection boxes and could have probably arrived on a second class stamp!

Reply to
Doctor D.