Screwfix Cable Access Kits

Any body got the screwfix cable access kits:

(10m =A319.99)
(1.4m =A316.95)

If so what is the difference (and don't say the overall or rod length)? 1.4m strikes me as rather short for ceiling voids or conduit runs but is that set far more flexable than the longer one. I envisage ceiling/wall void or through thick wall use more than tricky routes through small bendy voids.

As the accessory set

fits both one assumes that they both require an minimum 8mm hole (more for the ring from the accessory kit).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The cheaper version (1.4m) seems to be a de-badged and cut-down Am-Tech product which is available at many outlets at a much better price - e.g:

has 10 X 330mm rods.

If you definitely need the longer length (10m) then you're probably stuck with the first Screwfix offering. If you can manage with a shorter length, which is probably less rigid, then go to Ebay or Google for 'Am-tech cable access kit'. You could buy two sets from Bamford Trading for the price of the Screwfix version and gain extra length.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

(10m £19.99)
(1.4m £16.95)

If so what is the difference (and don't say the overall or rod length)? 1.4m strikes me as rather short for ceiling voids or conduit runs but is that set far more flexable than the longer one. I envisage ceiling/wall void or through thick wall use more than tricky routes through small bendy voids.

As the accessory set

fits both one assumes that they both require an minimum 8mm hole (more for the ring from the accessory kit).

Reply to
AlanD

Much better deal here

picked up the smaller set a while ago. I'm not a lecky so wouldn't have much use for the bigger set, small set is very handy for running cables behind/through units etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

FWIW, Toolstation do the 10x330mm rod set for a tenner. I've got one and it's crap!

At least, the fundamentals of it are pretty good, but I've only used it

3 times and have had the following fail:

  • one of the bronze ends come away from the rod

  • one of the screw threaded ends snap off
  • the short flexible white thing snap (or broke somehow - I forget)

The first two failures were up near the end where I was trying to reach down to it in the cavity from the loft and I managed to retreive the bits. I'm not particularly heavy handed and, after the first failure, was wary of tugging hard on it yet the screw thread still snapped off.

So, what was I doing to wreck it so? 1mm2 cable in the first instance, telly coax in the second. The flexible job was down to me prodding up through an angled hole up the cavity wall from outside and finding endless things to bash it against. Turned out that some maniac had covered over the cavity at the top when it was being built with what feels like cement board. $deity knows why unless it's the (now covered over) soffits. Probably explains the tendency to damp on that wall. My father built the place but it's too late to ask him why now!

Anyhoo, since the kit's branded Silverline I did wonder if I was a little hopeful that it would be a third decent.

Reply to
Scott M

here

like this thing:

the business for stealing juice from overhead pylons and/or killing yourself.

Reply to
dom

themsleves don't FFS, at least not the vouchers I have). These are a (late) christmas present to buy.

Think I'll go for the bigger set as I evisage doing stuff over greater distances than 1.4m. I do have a steel fish tape that works but isn't that easy to aim in the right direction or control the far end from more than a metre or so away.

Thanks chaps.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had that kit for several years, and I consider it one of my most useful-ever purchases!

The only thing was that the purpose of the 'short flexible white thing' has always been completely unclear (other than to extend the range of from 3.3 m to 3.305 m (!?) - I assumed it was meant to be a gender changer but they put both a male and a female connecter on by mistake?

David

Reply to
Lobster

To enable the rods to be pushed around a bend or obstruction the flexy with the bullet head should be easier to get into a distant opening and the rst of the rods will then follow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh yes, unbelievably useful but really poorly made! I'd say I got unlucky but a lot of the Silverline stuff is a bit too cheap and cheerful.

Reply to
Scott M

Is it more flexible than the main rods, then? (the kit is in the garage and it's raining!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

The Screwfix 10m set is UK made:

sturdy enough on quick inspection, lots of accessories for the "Cable Rod" system (torches, brushes, various flex heads etc) but not sure if they fit the "Cable Quick" (Screwfix) rod set. The "Quick Grip" looks very interesting as the best way to attach the rod end to a cable for drawing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Much more flexible.

Adam