Screwfix and CORGI

But they are not refusing to sell to Black people, unless that person is not CORGI registered. It is a private enterprise, and they can sell to whomever they feel fit to sell to.(obviously while adhering to anti-discrim laws)

Just like the pub landlord who can refuse to serve whoever they wish, Screwfix can refuse to serve anyone they wish, and although I disagree with their statement on non-corgi sales, it is completely within their rights to do that.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

No they wouldn't. They would be breaking the law if they refused to sell to someone because they were black. If they refuse to sell to a person because that person is not a member of a particular trade they are not breaking the law.

Taking another example. The local cash and carry wholesaler will sell paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets in bulk to my wife. They won't sell them to a neighbour who is black. The cash and carry wholesaler is not breaking the law.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It will be really interesting when they extend this.

To power tools. Are you qualified on a mains drill, or have you just got the 12V certificate?

To fixings. Is that for a wall or a ceiling? Are you certified for fixing pictures on walls?

To fire extinguishers. Have you been trained in the use of this class of fire fighting equipment?

And what on earth is wrong with buying gas-quality PTFE tape? You might not want it for use with gas. And do you need to be CORGI registered to maintain a hot air balloon? Or a gas-powered car?

Reply to
Rod

I agree, I was just responding to the statement "They can sell *or* refuse to sell to anyone they want to" From Tanner-'op. They clearly can't refuse to sell to whoever they want to, as, in the example I cited (not that they are doing this) they would be breaking the law if they refused to sell to all black people, because they felt like it.

I do agree they can refuse to sell gas bits to non qualified people, although they don't actually say you have to be CORGI registered to be deemed qualified, just you need to prove you are qualified.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Sorry, I now see how my statement could be miss-understood.

I meant, if they decided they were not going to sell items to black people, whilst not having such a restriction on other people, this would be illegal.

Therefore the statement "They can sell *or* refuse to sell to anyone they want to" *is* incorrect.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

I can't think of any gas bits I've bought from Screwfix recently, but if they're adopting such a discriminatory stance, I shall cease using them for anything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And are you competent to climb a 9 step stepladder . We cannot risk any accidents

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

But do not specify what "qualified is".

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

CORGI does not prove competence. It is just a registrati1. You must be "competent to deal with gas fitting.

  1. The addition is that if you charge money, you must be registered with CORGI.

Note: CORGI only deal with professionals. If a DIYer installed a boiler incorrectly, don't ring CORGI, they will tell you to get in touch with HSE. Not their remit.

Competence is not defined in law.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No it's not. They can refuse to sell to anyone they don't want to. They cannot discriminate by race. They can however serially refused to sell to an entire series of individuals they don't want to supply even if all those individuals happen to be the same skin colour.

Stop digging, you made a schoolboy error.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If a shopkeeper continually refused to sell items to all black people, while continuing to sell the items to everyone else, they would be discriminating by race, therefore, they would be acting illigally. Is that not correct?

I am not digging, I am mearly trying to phrase the statement in a way you can understand what I am trying to say.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

In order to hold a valid CORGI Membership, don't you have to proove to them you are competent, and continu to do so to keep the membership?

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Toby,

Only if they say that they will specifically not sell to 'black people' - as a matter of interest (and to enlighten you), anything for sale within a business is simply an *Invitation* *to* *Treat* (look it up on google) and the business is under no obligation to sell to *you* or anyone else for that matter and they can sell at any price they wish - or impose 'terms' of sale.

They only time they will be breaking the law is if they *deliberately* mislead on price or description, or attempt to sell illegal goods - or if they are breaking the race relations act by refusing to sell on ethnic grounds.

Please look up your facts.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

I understand this already, so there is no need.

There you go - If I wanted to refuse sale to people because they are a certain race, I would be committing an offence, therefore I can't decide I will sell to everyone but this particular race. - Is this not correct?

No need, you just highlighted my point!

Reply to
Toby

I just mailed them to inform them that noting their zeal to support Corgi, my £2659 order this weekend has had to be placed elsewhere, at a supplier not so discriminating.

(With a note that a Corgi will be checking the finished work but not in supplying the parts)

Reply to
EricP

You keep trying to raise "all black people". Are you aware of any shop that is likely to have to face "all black people" (by which presumably you mean every black person in the UK) wanting to buy goods from them?

If the shop refuses to sell to one person on the basis of their skin colour that is racial discrimination. If a shop keeper exercises their right to not sell to someone then that is not racial discrimination.

In order to prosecute on a basis of racial discrimination the CPS would have to establish that race was an issue.

Can you smell Chow Mein yet?

How do I have to phrase statements in a way that you can understand?

See.

See the shop.

Oh shiny shop!

See the people.

See the shopkeeper.

People ask for goods.

Shopkeeper says no.

No.

No case to answer.

Oh see.

See the shop.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please read my reply to you carefully and try to understand it - as you are simply trying to see something that is not there - or have you become so entrenched, you are unable to see the wood for the trees.

Whether the customer is black, white, yellow, striped, mottled, pink, a dog - or even you, providing the business is not refusing to sell on ethnic grounds then he can refuse to sell to anyone.

No, you are just a little to dim to see the facts of the law (or are you an ethnic person and wish to make a point?).

Merely refusing to sell because the vendor doesn't like you is the vendors choice (irrespective of colour or creed) and the vendor is *not* breaking the law.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

Given the upcoming recession, seems an odd choice of time to start declining trade...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

So you have a 'bit of paper' from a CORGI covering all the existing gas installation in your house? I'd say that's pretty rare.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Toby" saying something like:

Yes, now. Distasteful as it was, it was perfectly legal back when Tanner was a lad for a business or pub or anyone else to refuse to deal with or sell to anyone they didn't like on ethnic grounds.

You'll probably recall (or at least have seen film of) the signs in landladies' windows of the 50s saying 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs'. Dreadful people back then - and they haven't gone away.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon