screw through clips: u clips, spire clips?

Very OT and only AJH and Mary might remember. A gentleman from Scotland with an amusing set of life experiences including adventures with a 2CV called Hubert in the Iberian peninsular:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You've been lucky - and probably good as well. The guy in the van/car/whatever wasn't.

I've only been tailgated once in ... lets think... half a million miles or so. That doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. A colleague of mine was braking for some roadworks, and looked in his mirror. Swerved into the cones, and watched the car he'd been following get tailgated.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A few years back, I lost two friends in separate car accidents within a month or two of each other.

One is thought to have passed out, and swerved into a laden HGV, head-on, at a closing speed of about 100mph. The truck rolled, and the driver of the truck was also badly injured.

The other was a ridiculously minor low-speed traffic collision, but an insecure box of books flew forward and took the back of his head out.

One was in a 2cv. The other was in a brand new EuroNCAP 5* rental.

I'll let you guess which was which.

When your number's up, your number's up. And I don't particularly want to spend a decade drooling and having my arse wiped in a care home anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Are you using the word "tailgated" differently to the way I normally understand it? Normally "tailgating" is driving close, not sure what I'd use for actually being hit.

Reply to
Clive George

tailended?

Reply to
charles

anything loose in the rear seating area is a potentially lethal hazard.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rear ended.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah yes - rear ended would be what I would say. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Clive George

It's only happened to me once in 47 years of driving. It was slightly unusual. A line of cars was cruising along a straight road (one lane either way). A boy racer came up behind and overtook the entire line. He then either (a) noticed a sharp blind bend ahead or (b) saw a vehicle approaching from the other direction.

In any event, his solution was to swerve into a small gap in the line (behind me). He was going far too fast and rear ended me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've been rear ended once by a car that simply failed to watch when I slowed for a roundabout. In it were two Irish lads. I didn't even bother to take the car number or their insurance, I assumed they had nicked it for a joyride, and had none.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope they used lube:-)

Reply to
ARW

I was driving along a residential road, at about 20 because there were lots of driveways with kids playing in them, and I didn't trust any of the kids not to do something stupid. Suddenly from a driveway that had no children near it I saw a football roll lazily into the road. I braked to avoid it and in case a child appeared - and sure enough a toddler toddled out from behind a gatepost, straight into the road to pick up the ball.

Luckily I was going slow enough that my emergency stop stopped me well before the child. The car behind me stopped fast as well - and the three cars behind him hit each other and then him - luckily without catapulting him into me.

There was a lot of arguing and I got most of the blame for braking without a good reason - until the child's mother rushed out to check that her son was OK and to thank me for stopping in time. Even then one of the guys thought I had "caused" him to crash into the car in front.

Surprisingly, although I gave my name to all the drivers as a witness, none of their insurance companies contacted me for a statement.

Reply to
NY

Something not dissimilar happened to me on the Fulham Palace Rd in

1968. I was in the middle of the Q of cars which all had to break sharply. Since I always leave a decent space in front mine was the only undamaged car.
Reply to
Tim Streater

But how do you arrange for a decent space behind you? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a decent space in front, you're less likely to need to brake quite so hard, thereby giving the klod behind more time to stop without hitting you. Of course, the likelihood is that *he* will have to slam on the anchors to some extent, because he'll be driving too close. So

*he* will get rear-ended.

If the driver at the front of the Q has to stop in a hurry, all those behind need to stop also, and at the same instant. But they can't do that because they each need a fraction of a second reaction time, meaning that the less time they have to avoid a collision. Which is why you leave a gap.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Stubsy's wife must have buried him by now.

AJH

Reply to
news

In message , snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk writes

Along with the Ardbeg whisky?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So it would seem if the cover artwork of the double album, "666" by Aphrodite's Child, is any indication (ICBW but it *does* look rather like a "2CV" in the artwork that's revealed when the cover is opened out). :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good