screw through clips: u clips, spire clips?

Hello,

I am looking for something but do not know what it is called. It is a clip that you attach to one sheet of metal and then screw into a hole in that clip, through another sheet of metal, holding the two pieces of metal together.

Googling has found me some of what I am looking for:

Looking on the internet, Halfords call them u-clips:

ebay calls them spire clips:

What is the proper or most common name for these, as I am hoping that knowing that will help me find more sellers, so that I can track down a good quality item at a good price from somewhere near me or somewhere with cheap delivery.

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

I've just ordered some from a random 'bay seller - they use the terms "u- clip, speed clip, chimney nut, motorcycle fairing clip" in their description alone.

Any of those should find a source - I'll let you know what the quality of these is like when they get here. 25 x M8 for £9 delivered.

Reply to
Adrian

But not 'spire clip', which is what they are generally called in the engineering trade

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know why they are called Spire clips? Were they invented by a man or company called Spire?

Probably a daft question but is one finish better than another? Ebay sellers seem to have black ones or zinc plated yellow ones. Is one finish more durable, less likely to rust than the other?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Black are most common in things that I have dismantled. You sometimes see traces of rust at the piercing, the black finish seems reasonably corrosion resistant. I wouldn't use them in the bilges of a boat, but they seem to be OK in stuff that lives outdoors.

Reply to
newshound

They're used on 2cvs for the body-chassis bolts - black finish, usually. As such, the threaded portion is exposed on the underside of the car, and they can be really quite horrific looking. It's usually about 50% that have to be cut off, if the car's never been apart - but that's after decades of use.

Reply to
Adrian

I guess they rely on mud and corrosion to glue the body to the chassis, preventing the vibration which would otherwise shake them loose! Or the corrosion on the protruding bolt, I suppose.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

Something along those lines.

Yes, M7. God bless Citroen.

Reply to
Adrian

Make sure you order the correct type.. some are made for self tapper type screws and some are captive nuts to take bolts/machine screws.

Reply to
dennis

I've often wondered about owning a 2cv but friends tell me they are not safe in an accident because they are thin metal from the days before crumple zones etc. I suppose that's true of all cars from that era though.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks, I shall watch out for that.

Reply to
Stephen

I've always found the best solution to such fears is "Don't crash". Simple.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, they've arrived, and they look just fine. Semi-bright finish as shown, not yellow passivated or black.

Adrian

The other day I saw a stopped truck on the other side of the road. Behind the truck was a car with a slightly damaged bonnet.

And a slightly more damaged boot.

Half a dozen cars behind was a mangled mess of metal that might once have been a car or a van, with another truck pressed firmly into the remains.

With a 2CV you would of course be more likely to be in the truck lane than the other one on that dual carriageway...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Migod. This explains why I've been killed to death at least seventy-three times over the third of a century I've been driving 2cvs, across the US and from the southern tip of Greece to Northern Scandinavia...

Reply to
Adrian

Diversion alert.. You don't by any chance name your 2CVs Hubert? Long story, anecdotes from another group:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

It's not so much the worry of you crashing, it's more the worry of someone less careful crashing into you!

Are they fun to drive?

Reply to
Stephen

No... The only one that's named is SWMBO's "Sparky", following an ignition-switch related drama many years ago.

But do go on...?

Reply to
Adrian

I've also been known to walk and ride bicycles.

Immensely.

Reply to
Adrian