Screw plasterboard ceiling - pilot holes?

G'day all.

Do I have to make pilot holes or shaft holes and/or countersink in my plasterboard before bunging it up on the ceiling?

Ta.

Reply to
David Pearson

No need. The correct screws have a cutting point, bugle head for countersinking and a rust resistant coating for plastering.

Totally dedicated to the job in hand.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No.

Reply to
Grunff

No. Use drywall screws such as

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=D16374&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=10&y=9.[Or
if the above link doesn't wrap properly]

They have very sharp points and don't need pilot holes. The heads will embed themselves into the plasterboard to make a flush surface to skim over.

Reply to
Set Square

Not in the UK. If you are Australian, as indicated by the G'day, then yes, because you will be upside down.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=D16374&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=10&y=9.> [Or
if the above link doesn't wrap properly]

And a pack of these:

one of these:

the whole job a much simpler one handed operation ;-)

(you can also be quite cavalier with the drill/driver since the shrouded bit will leave the screw at the right depth each time).

Reply to
John Rumm

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=D16374&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=10&y=9.>> [Or
if the above link doesn't wrap properly]

And one of these for a ceiling job!

Tim Morley

No pilot holes and no countersinking.

I have been using an ordinary power screwdriver to put the 45mm. screw in. I stop just as the head is going into the paper surface of the plasterboard and then finish it off with a hand operated screw driver. That stops the power driver from going too far and possibly cracking the plasterboard.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien