Screw in to Internal Door

I want to screw a hook in to an internal door - which is the usual crap of hardboard like material on the outsides and corrugated cardboard on the inside.

The hook is screwed - outside diameter of screw is 5mm.

It will not be taking much weight but I do want it to be secure.

Any specific suggestions - a particular type of cavity wall fixing?

Reply to
john

A small version of the "collapsing cage" type fixings is available for this problem. They come with there own screws which may or may not fit your hook.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Fix a solid timber strip across the door (screwed into the peripheral solid timber) to carry one or more hooks.

Reply to
dom

Known as a "cavity door fixing" in Focus IIRC. Same as plastic plasterboard plugs but tightens to 5mm.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I wouldn't start from there . . .

You can get plastic door hooks with a built-in fixing, especially for hollow doors. You drill a single hole (about 3/8" I think) through the hardboard, push the shank of the hook in, and tighten the screw. The shank expands inside the door and provides a firm fixing.

Reply to
Roger Mills