Screw for wall plugs

I have found that the head of the Screwfix Turbo Gold screws sometimes breaks off when screwing into a plug in the wall.

It seems they work better in wood.

What is the best screw for using with wall plugs?

Are the Fisher Power-Fast or the Spax better for that purpose?

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

Plan old fashioned slightly tapered wood screws, IME.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They work exceptionally well in wood, but I've found they cut up plugs quite badly.

Quicksilver.

Dunno, but they are mucho expensive.

All I carry on the van is Turbogold for wood & Quicksilver for plugs. And they are Rawlplug 'Uno' which are the mutts nutts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Which is what they are designed for really...

Quicksilver twinthreads seem to work well (and are much cheaper than TG as well)

Not tried the Fisher, but the Spax are similar to TG in design, so may suffer the same problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

easily.

That is a mayor problem, especially when unscrewing that old screw that has been fastened several times

Reply to
asalcedo

I've not experienced that in 5 years of doing this for a living.

Then don't reuse screws. Or use a decent bit - pozi & phillips are incompatible.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I agree with Tim - an old fashioned tapered screw causes the plug to open up and expand into the hole. A modern screw tends to merely cut a thread into the plug without opening it up. We have gone backwards!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Personally I have found that QS are one of the better screws for resisting head wear. However, you *must* use a bit that fits them well. SF own brand bits (Erbauer) seem to work well, as do Wiha and Vira. Ordinary steel bits are not really up to it - especially with the more powerful drills and impact drivers.

The moral of the story is don't reuse screws - or at least not more than once. Its a false economy. On the rare ocations that a head does get damaged mid way through driving, I will take the screw out and use another rather than persist in trying to drive a damaged one.

Reply to
John Rumm

The old tapered screws cause a tapered expansion of the plug - with the taper widest at the shallowest point. They also cut a thread in the plug, but by their nature tend to destroy it again in the process of driving the screw further into the hole. I would say it is more important to drill the right sized clearance hole with parallel thread screws, but personally I have never had any problem getting a decent fixing with them into plugs.

(modern brown plugs tend to open up at the deep end more than along the full length of the shank - anyway, and so are well suited to modern screws)

Reply to
John Rumm

A Quicksilver in a Uno plug - easier to pull a sailor off your sister than pull that out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman