Screw Fix delivery times

Page 1 of 2
I have only ever ordered from Screw Fix 4 times before and every time their next day delivery has not materialised. it has always taken between 3 and 5 days?
So this time I paid extra for before noon 12 next day delivery in the mistaken belief that may parcel would turn up. I waited in all day yesterday and nothing turned up !! I live in London!! I rang Screw Fix who said it was with Parcel Force.
I rang Parcel force today and they said It was still with Screw fix?????
I have wasted a whole day off and Screw Fix have still not delivered!! but they have offered to refund my 4 postage for before 12 noon delivery cost!!!!
they say they have 97% next day delivery, this can't be true.
Would I be right to demand compensation?
Maximus Glutimus wrote:

Probably. I must have been lucky with my SF orders. They always come the next day. My last one I ordered at 9 pm on a Monday and it was here 8:30 next morning. Could be more to do with PF's hub arrangement than SF I suspect.

Screwfix have never failed to deliver next day to me (in Reading). I always use their standard delivery. I once ordered at 20:30 and it STILL arrived the very next day! (before 12 as well!) I have no idea how they managed it.
Christian.
I have placed at least 30 orders with screwfix and they have all arrived the next day.
John

the
They have only failed to deliver next day to me on 2 occasions.
Once when they changed delivery firms to those people with white vans - ANC?
The other time was when the petrol blockade thingy was going on and they were 3 days late.
Sean

I've ordered maybe 15 times. Always next day. Even in the petrol strikes when they warned me it might take a few days it still turned up next day.
Not ordered for a few months though.
Darren
Maximus Glutimus wrote:

You have my sympathy but I have to say the few orders I've placed have been very early next day (London).
I've placed over 50 orders with SF and every single one has arrived next day. I think they normally deliver to me by ANC whose local depot is directly opposite me so that may help.
-- Remove BRAIN before replying

Yes. You paid for something (delivery before 12), they didn't provide it.
Getting your money could be a whole different story though.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

Steve Firth wrote:

Got stung by an online computer parts suppiler once, I paid extra for next day as I wanted to do the job at the weekend and that would give me a day to spare in case it didn't turn up. Friday came and went without any delivery and when I queried it I was told that yes I'd paid for next day delivery but no I couldn't get any compo because that didn't apply until after it was sent, item was out of stock so not sent but would be sent ND when they finally got it in stock. I cancelled and went elsewhere, lesson learnt.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
Richard Caley wrote:

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:56:29 +0000 (UTC), Maximus Glutimus

Possibly, but tell us, what times did you place the orders? There is a cut off time for next day, and if you order before that, then you should be in with a fighting chance of seeing the same sort of service that most of us seem get. Weekends have a different time too. But this is all on the site so I expect you already know that, if that's how you shop with them, just trying to help incase you hadn't spotted it.
Actually, how do you order? Online, phone, fax, or is there another way?
I always do it online unless there's something specific I need to ask Screwfix about the order at the time of placing it. Not that many hassles over a longish time to be honest, and in all fairness, hardly any were of Screwfix' making, or within their control, and I can be pretty harsh about critique where it's due!
I generally get an e-mail confirming the order straight away or before midnight, and then another from the shipping section telling me it's been dispatched by next morning. Once I ordered, online, at about 15:30Hrs, got the order confirmation by the time I had run the e-mail client to check for it, I got the shipping confirmation at 03:15Hrs, and the parcel arrived about 5 hours after that at 08:45 or so, and that was on "normal" delivery! (nothing special, they would say!) Bye now! Slowbloke

Same happened to me - it turned out to be Parcel Farce. They'd claimed they'd tried to deliver it the previous day, but couldn't find my flat (no one else has had a problem in the 18 months I've been here - it's not difficult!).
ttfn
Martin
--
'24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence?'
Steven Wright
writes:
c> I once ordered a 180 welder,
Are they running some kind of male prostitution ring now? Gives a new meaning to `screw fix':-).
c> which did not arrive after 10 days, and which I had complained to them about, I c> finally got it after 12 days, then they just kept on sending me more, they sent c> me 6 in total, which I returned.
You could just have gone into business selling welders.
I think these have to be considered unsolicited goods (you ordered one, not the others), so according to this:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/unsolicited.htm
they were yours.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

Except that they weren't.
The salient quite from that site is: "they were sent to a person without any prior request made by them or on their behalf. Someone who receives goods in these circumstances may retain them as an unconditional gift, and does not have to pay for or return any unwanted goods."
But one of those goods *was* ordered; that a total of six or seven of those goods arrived does not mean that any of them was "unsolicited" as such -- it just means that the supplier made a mistake and then repeated that mistake. On the other hand, as only one welder had been ordered, only one welder could be charged to the buyer's credit or debit card.
The Unsolicited Goods and Services Act refers to "inertia sales", which was a scam whereby a company would send out goods -- usually worthless tat -- to anyone and everyone on a mailing list and then, a month or two later, send a bill or a "red reminder" for those goods. To do that is now a criminal offence, though I've yet to read of any successful prosecutions under that law.
--
< Paul >

pcd> But one of those goods *was* ordered; that a total of six or seven of pcd> those goods arrived does not mean that any of them was "unsolicited" as pcd> such
Does to me. Do you know for a fact that there has been a court case to the contrary?
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

The term "unsolicited goods" has a very specific legal meaning. It doesn't mean anything that comes through the post that you didn't specifically order. It means goods KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY sent by the supplier in the hope that they can bully you into paying for it. For example, if out of the blue, a company sent you an expensive book and asked you to return your payment (or the book if you don't want it), then it is unsolicited goods and you can keep the book. If out of the blue, amazon sent you a book and didn't ask for money, but it was obviously sent in error (i.e. to the wrong address, or additional to an order you had made), then it is not unsolicited goods and you can't just keep it.
Christian.
(cm) writes:
cm> The term "unsolicited goods" has a very specific legal meaning. It doesn't cm> mean anything that comes through the post that you didn't specifically cm> order. It means goods KNOWINGLY and INTENTIONALLY sent by the supplier in cm> the hope that they can bully you into paying for it.
Seems ridiculously hard to prove. not that that is unusual in consumer laws.
cm> you can keep the book. If out of the blue, amazon sent you a book and didn't cm> ask for money, but it was obviously sent in error (i.e. to the wrong cm> address, or additional to an order you had made), then it is not unsolicited cm> goods and you can't just keep it.
Well, buggered if I'm going to spend time and/or money correcting their mistake for them, and if I just ignore it I am providing them with free warehousing, so I don't seem to have any option which is both legal and acceptable.
Maybe I just put it out in the street, so long as i can do so without being done for littering.
--
Mail me as snipped-for-privacy@MYLASTNAME.org.uk _O_
|<

It is easy to prove, as the company will ask you to pay for the goods after you have received them. This is not the usual method used by a reputable mail order business, where payment (and free choice of goods) is expected before dispatch.
Christian.