Screeching tumble dryer?

Hi All,

Our Zanussi TD-534 tumble dryer has started screeching just recently.

It seems to be synched with the drum revs and as if the drum is running metal to metal rather being suspended on some form of cushion, bearing or bearing strip? It's not continuous but more a "squeak ......... squeak ........... squeak ....." (one per rev) sorta thing. ;-)

I've not had a close look at it yet but thought I'd ask the panel if it was likely to be something that could potentially be serviced / repaired / replaced (by me, I've changed washing machine bearings and seals before etc), assuming I can get the parts required?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have an ancient Bendix (Thorn) Superdry 90 that does the same thing, and I can tell you why mine does it. The front of the drum is supported on a circular hoop around the door aperture The drum only bares against this hoop along a small segment at the top of the hoop and it was originally stove-enamelled (or at least some similar coating) which reduced the friction. This has warn away. I am considering replacing the machine but if anyone has any ideas about something that can be painted on...

Reply to
Graham.

Hmm, I wonder if the bearings on both our ancient machines have gone Graham and are allowing the drums to drop at the opposite end and touch something they shouldn't?

But at the same time I'm not sure a bearing (or two) could support such a deep drum for this many years without a bit of slack (over that length especially)?

Feeling up inside the top edge of ours and I think I can feel what could be some felt or something and I think I've seen felt mentioned on a spares website somewhere? It was only £8 or summat so a good £140 cheaper than a replacement dryer.

This is similar to the first one I found and has a better picture ..

think I might be feeling the edge of the lip that would hold such a 'bearing' in place?

Maybe someone who has changed such could comment (in case there are other bit's that would need to be done at the same time, potentially making the job not economically viable)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Probably best to let the cat dry naturally.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Hmmm, cat's .. .... :-)

I didn't think to do it at the time Mark but maybe I could have tumble dried the one that climbed in our downstairs toilet window, fell into the toilet and then shredded the wallpaper in it's panic to get out?

I think all cat's should be DNA tested at the point of ownership so their damage and mess can be billed to their owners?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Check for bra wires. Your wife will explain.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Hmm, so I guess she's be missing a wire for that to be the case ... I'll ask tho ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Might be the rear bearing. In many cases this is a very rudimentary affair, being nothing more than a small stud that sits in a simple cradle. Trouble is, the stud can be welded to the drum - and the cradle welded to the back panel. That's exactly what's happened to one of my tumblers - and as the worn stud isn't available as a spare and my lathe isn't wired up, it's a 'project in waiting'.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

If you could forward me the dimensions of the stud my lathe is wired up Stephen. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ooh cheers..I might well take you up on that kind offer. It'll mean I'll have to clear the shed out though, just so's I can reach the dryer....!

Cheers,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

By all means do. ;-)

That with be a good reason to clear the shed then eh?

I've got to do similar to get my Portapac bottles out and back to BOC .. :-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tim,

my old one did this. The drum was supported on a "proper" bearing at the back, and on a slippery plastic thing all the way around the rim of the drum at the front. It had worn through. So I rotated it 180 degrees...

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

Our old Creda tumbler had a proper bearing at the back, but the rim of the drum had a thick cloth tape around it which was lubricated with some sort of silicon paste. This just rested on the frame at the front while it revolved. Made screeching noises when the paste stuff dried out but worked surprisingly well for many years.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

Ah, that was the hope I had (being able to turn it round) but didn't want to give it a go till someone said it was dooable etc.

I'll try and have a look today, thanks. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok, on mine I think the cloth is felt as I believe I've seen that mentioned on a parts list for my model.

Hmm, but the screeching is now nearly intolerable so I'd like to do something with it!

I think the felt 'bearing' is retained in a sort of shallow gully and at the top the felt has worn (or compressed) down to level with the metal edge of that.

If I take our machine to bits and attempt to rotate the felt (to find a good bit) it might fall to bits and then no tumble dryer. Andy's plastic bearing sounded more rotatable.

I might just have a quick look to see how easy the machine is to strip down to that level and then I can be sure a new felt bearing would do the job even if I don't touch it at this point.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m