scratchy pots on old bass amp - diyable?

Spray with aerosol electrical contact cleaner.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

Contact cleaner on its own can be a short term fix only as most pots use a lubricant between wiper and track, and cleaner will remove that. Best to use the stuff made for the job. Electrolube and Servisol both make it. You might even find it in Maplin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bill Wright" saying something like:

I recall melting part of the guts of a pot through using some inappropriate solvent to clean it. Luckily it was a cheap one to replace.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think it should be decided with a duel at dawn - using cans of WD40 and Electrolube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone remember Inhibisol? And those awfully expensive Decca FFSS pickups

- where the head clipped into the arm via a slide connector? You'll only ever clean the contacts once with it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

WD40 might make a better flamethrower - is Electrolube flammable?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Actually, *I* was taking the piss out of *you* not knowing where to use appropriate cleaning materials ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Only the propellant AFAIK. On the other hand, WD40 contains petroleum distillates, so I guess the stuff itself is flammable ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Or of course, he could try WD40 ... :-)))

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Cans, cans ?

I buy it in 5l containers

I peeeese on your consumer electronics

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

No, really, you're just trying to justify your being a wanker who's got riled

You are not someone who is known for their pisstaking, I am

I also run a professional company which DOES know what to use and when, not a back street abortionist like you are showing yourself to be

Reply to
geoff

That would probably do them even less good than the WD40 ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

At least WD40 would displace the peeeese.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Arfa

Not wishing to get involved in this flame war, but I assumed that given the cost of labour & the price of consumer electronics, much stuff wasn't economic to repair?

Given that you can buy a cheap sound surround thingy for £20 surely thats not worth repairing?

Is it just high end stuff you repair?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Arfa Daily writes

Arfa you doddery senile old fart - I have a well equipped pcb lab and three electronics engineers.

Fuck, are you stupid

Reply to
geoff

Dave. I repair high end and almost high end hi-fi for a number of shops in my area. Also home cinema systems, switch mode power supplies from several sources, and a couple of control boards from drinks machines in quantity. I also do a lot of repairs to group and general PA equipment and accessories, including pedals, mixer desks etc. Many of the amplifiers that I work on are valve. There's not too many of us around now who have the necessary background to be able to carry out repairs to those items. As PA amplifiers can cost a number of hundreds of pounds, and tend to be very long lived, there is obviously good money in carrying out quality repairs to them.

I still do some low to mid end stuff as well. There are a lot of people out there who are comfortable with their Aiwas and Pans and Sonys, and would still prefer to have them repaired, than go out and buy a new TescoSonic for twenty quid.

For sure, there's not as much work around as there used to be, but those of us who have diversified and stuck with it, still make a reasonable living without too much hassle.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In message , Arfa Daily writes