scratches on glass

Hi,

Any-one know how to remove scratches from window glass? I have tried Brasso but it did no good.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Replace the glass.

Reply to
EricP

I believe jewellers rouge can cope with small scratches, but for anything deeper go for the first reply :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Cerium oxide powder and a powered mop, as big as you can arrange. Not an easy job though.

Blonde shellac, to hide it.

Or else replace the glass -- it's not easy to get scratches out, even when it's on the bench and easy to work on.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

thanks for your replies. I was trying to avoid replacing the glass but looks like it's the best way.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Or else make a feature of it - paint a design on it.

Or add a (fictitious) date and initials and claim is as something of historical interest.

Or ignore it! That's what we've done with a window which was scratched in the early 1940s. There comes a time when you forget about it!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

One other thing you could try is a hard rubber wheel on a dremmel type of tool. You won't polish the scratches out completely (i.e. glass will still look a bit cloudy), but you can get the bulk of it out... Needless to say the softer the glass the better - window glass being least workable.

My, Father in Law is a glass engraver, and this is one of his tricks. He only usually uses it though when he can cover the bit of "erased" engraving with something else...

John Rumm

It all depends on how deep the scratches are.

If you run you finger nail across the scratch and it doesn't get caught then apparently these scratches can be removed.

Darren