Scratched stainless steel hob

A complete idiot has cleaned my brushed stainless steel hob with a scourer. It now has scratches all over the surface.

What can I do? Any ideas? Thank you all.

Reply to
jonathansmith1962

By the missus some flowers and own up?? Move out ??

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

One option is to go over the rest thouroughly with the scourer.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Scour the idiot.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Seriously, I intended asking a similar question.

Our stainless steel drainers have over many years become dulled and scratched and I wondered if it might be possible to apply a different finish, say with a circular polishing pad with an abrasive.

I know it's a bit naff but it would save me trying to polish them and would look deliberate.

Not that anyone but me ever looks at them!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Take the whole thing apart and take the stainless steel bit down to your local metal workers able to deal with this sort of thing. They'll need to acid etch it and start again.

Alternatively can you order a replacement part ?

Reply to
G&M

Screwfix sell a pot of industrial stainless steel cleaner.... It smells horrible and seems to be comprised of some kind of acid. (based on the, 'why would I need to wear gloves? test'...) When poured over my sink and left for about the time it takes to need another bottle of wine, the de-scratching results on small scratches were quite good.

Nick

Reply to
NickIniquity

Spouse received a new catalogue yesterday, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many thanks.

Reply to
jonathansmith1962

If you use a very fine abrasive pad on an angle grinder you can re-polish the surface.

It will not give anything like a mirror finish but it can give a uniform matte finish - similar to some of the so caled brushed finished electrical sockets and switches. A little care is required that it is done evenly, also be aware that the metal on sinks etc is quite thin so no pressure required, you are only trying to brush the surface, not to actually take off much of the metals thickness. you might want to practice a little on the underside just to get used to it. Don't forget the goggles!!!!

This is a one time job - you cannot change you mind once it has been started so be sure it is what you want to achieve.

Reply to
no