scratched facia

Any one found a way of fixing scratches on the front of the chrome effect (plastic really) facia founds of most popular brands of home entertainment kit and various other places such as cars,

Thanks

Reply to
Furby

Halfords sell chrome paint which might improve matters - but a perfect repair? I doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you'll find that it's actually chrome[1] plated plastic, so if you really want to fix it I suggest stripping, polishing and replating just like any other plated finish. I suspect this will require more effort than it's really worth though.

[1] or some similar metal
Reply to
Rob Morley

It's not possible to have plastic re-plated as a one off. IMHO. If anyone knows different, I'd love to hear from them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's an ancient book called "Electroplating for the Amateur" that tells you how to do it. Apparently the modern equivalent is "Electroplating - Workshop Practice" by J Poyner.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I would be surprised if any "ancient book" covered plating on plastic. Unless the plastic is conductive to a degree - and most are not - the 'traditional' electroplating process will not work. I suspect (speculative comment) that coating plastic may involve vacuum chambers, high voltages, and vapourised metal ... The anorak in me would like to know the true answer - some Googling called for, I think!

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Well, it just so happens that I have a copy of "Electro-Plating for the Amateur" by L. Warburton (Model & Allied Publications, ISBN 0853440565).

Firstly it's not _that_ ancient: first published 1950, 2nd edition 1955,

3rd edition 1963. I bought my copy (3rd ed. 7th impression 1976) when I wanted to do some anodising (moderately successful).

Secondly it does cover what it calls "plating of non-conductors."

That's one method. The said book covers three more, all of which amount to ways of applying a conductive coating first:

- apply a graphite coating: prime the substrate with 1:2 mixture of paraffin wax and beeswax (applied hot), leave to cool and sprinkle with graphite powder (can you still get Aquadag?);

- what it calls "the mirror method": a recipe is given for making your own electroless silver solution - requires rochelle salt, "strong ammonia", silver nitrate and (uk.d-i-y's favourite chemical) caustic soda;

- the "gold method": apply gold-size and gild in gold leaf!

Industrially the electroless method is predominant, at least in the one field that I'm familiar with, viz. the PCB industry. Here use of "electroless copper" is a completely routine step in the production of plated-through-hole boards.

So try Googling for "electroless plating" or "electroless copper".

Reply to
Andy Wade

it seems to be called: vacuum metalising with aluminium.

so what about careful sticking on of some aluminium foil?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers for that - I'm not sure if I still have my copy. ISTR it being just post-WWII - doesn't it mention using war-surplus kit to build your own equipment?

Reply to
Rob Morley

1950 as I said and, yes, parts of it are very much in the post-war spirit. There is mention of an ample supply of cheap ex-Govt. transformers and a section on motor-generator sets for use on DC mains...
Reply to
Andy Wade

I did. Fascinating. Thanks Andy.

Reply to