Scrap value of copper?

What is the approx scrap value (per metre) of 15mm copper tube? (in non-industrial quantities?)

I'm just wondering in terms of whether it's worth keeping those little offcuts of tube from a job rather than just binning them, and/or whether its worthwhile ever lugging out redundant tubing from previous installations while the floorboards are up...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

little

Well if a genuine copper penny* is worth marginally more than it's face value think of your scrap in pennyweight terms.

  • later pennies are infact heavy copper plated steel and can be picked up with a magnet.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

definately worth keeping it all.

Reply to
.

It won't make your fortune, but if you save up the bits (including valves, stopcocks, taps etc.) you can send them off for recycling at your "tidy tip". Plumbers do keep the bits, as quantities mount up and become worthwhile.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"Copper" coinage was in fact bronze!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

or /weigh them in/ at the largest scrapyard in the OPs local area.

Reply to
.

I weighed some in recently, they gave me £45 for 30KG of what they called 'Braze', it was mostly copper but with one or two taps in etc. not sure if I would got a bit more for 100% copper but I was happy with that.

Reply to
Tom

it's gone up /again/ since I took 2 carrier bags of shrapnel in.

well worth it, ime.

Reply to
.

Usually worth more if you seperate it into different metals. Mixed scrap is worth less.

Reply to
John

When I cleared out the old heating system and tanks, I took the whol lot to the local metal recycling centre, where it was weighed. I got £35 quid for my troubles - paid for a few beers

-- SimonST

Reply to
SimonST

Only because any copper alloy can be termed a bronze. The actual alloy for UK coinage is with zinc, not tin, and so in many ways it's better described as a brass.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do you need to strip the foam insulation off from cylinders before they'll take it, or do they just let it burn off when melting the stuff down?

Reply to
Ron Lowe

It is in fact an alloy of the copper, zinc, AND tin. HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Stockpiling copper is a good future investment.

Just hammer it flat, cuts down on the storage space.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Might be a good future investment, but probably not as good as it could have been. The price has fallen the best part of $2,000/m tonne recently after it's rather metoric rise in the last few months:

Dave Liquorice

The decimal penny used the same "austerity grade" alloy that was brought in during WW2, to avoid using up strategic tin. There's so little in there that if tin were alcohol, you could sell it as a soft drink.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It is still an alloy of copper, zinc, AND tin.

Reply to
Chris Bacon