Scrap price vs useable price for I beams

We were just about to scrap a couple of length of I beam - came out of the house during the rebuild.

Builders are in next door, and saw it going into the trailer and the boss of the firm expressed an interest.

Conversation went something like:

"Scrapping it - probably get a tenner - I'll give you a tenner for it"

Well, we were going to swing it in with some more scrap.

"Tell you what, £15 (to his workers) worth £15 wouldn't you think? Well, how much do you want for it? Name a price."

Me - "tell you the truth I have no idea of the value - so I was going to weigh it in with a load of other stuff."

"I'll give you £20 for it - if you want that just drop it off the trailer."

Now if the scales are telling the truth the short length weighed exactly

20 Kg.

Measuring and scaling up to the longer piece suggested that it was around

47 Kg.

Assume a rounding up to 70 Kg in all.

Now an online source

suggests that scrap steel is currently about £0.06 per kilo.

So scrap value seems to be £4.20.

I have a few remaining scruples so I don't want to screw the guy over, but I presume an I beam new costs considerably more than the scrap value.

O.K. - search on fleaBay and the nearest match is a 152 * 89 at £22/metre.

Total length of the two I beams is just over 4 metres.

So £88 brand new.

I think I have concluded that £20 for the I beams is a good deal on both sides.

Does this seem reasonable?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

That's quite a fall actually - I got about 11p seven months ago

Yup - especially as he offered that... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Lets hope its OK though, as he obviously has a use in mind, probably holding up another customers upper floor!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds very reasonable. Especially as it saves you transporting it.

Reply to
harryagain

+1
Reply to
ARW

Possibly the next door neighbours:-)

Reply to
ARW

He had a look at it.

Minimal rust, and it has been indoors (in the structure) until the last 9 months or so.

Stored under cover as well.

Already spent the £20 (in anticipation) on four bottles of wine.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts