Scrap or repair?

Page 3 of 3
>>"Dave Liquorice":> >>>And you where going to scrap and buy a new machine just because a 2p

Youre missing something, which is that we do already have most of the work done by machines, and the change from hand manufacture to todays mechanised methods is an exact parallel to the change youre discussing. And the results are not as you say, the real results are:
1. much better standard of living for everyone 2. many more hands available to do important speculative work, ie research. 3. a rise in the level of skill required of all workers 4. this being met by improved education 5. Shorter working week 6. More resources for other important matters such as health care etc etc etc 7. Enough surplus to be able to set up a welfare system so no-one need starve or do desperate things to survive.
Quite simply, everyone wins in the end. Just see the parallel, and see where your predictions are amiss.

there is loads that needs doing but we cant to afford to right now. Today our society is too busy spending its time money and materials on stupid stuff. Couch potatoes will not be the way forward.

there is :) I know that from experience.

dunno about that.

no, this is right off. The system needs more resources, including human work resources. Many die today due to lack of said resources, by the million.

it is, wasting our valuable resources is not sensible. But employment can also be a waste, so its not employment rate as such that matters most, but useful employment rate.

If we ever reach the point where all our needs are met, then maybe. But we are a very long way from that. There is a huge reservoir of suffering and death, even in wealthy countries, due to our present limitations of resources in all areas.

not computers, or other obsolescent items. Someone else proposed mandatory product marking with average life expectancy, which sounds interesting. How one could practically do it is another question.
The Japanese made great strides forward in this area by passing a law for all faulty goods to be repaired on site, thus driving up repair costs greatly, and thus encouraging higher reliability goods. Given the great advances this has made, laws in this general vein may well be a way forward. This reduction in breakdowns of course is a major asset all round.

no no no, thousands were out of one job and into another. Or millions.

so that cycle of change resulted in us all being better off. Not perfect, but better off.

Do tell what your vision is.

been that way a fair while now. And its partly due to shortage of one of our resources, intelligence. Few seem to understand that that is a key issue for society today, and few are working on it. At some point enough of society will become intelligent and informed enough to realise that this is a core issue, and one of the most important research areas to concentrate on. Then we will start to see much faster progress. I'm assuming you know of the Flynn effect.

no, only a minority do

I thought that idea had been debunked now. If not, what is it that those diagnosed with aids die from? And why?
And I thought it was because of sharing medical needles, lack of resources, poorer nutrition, and lack of information. AFAIK propaganda doesnt give people aids.

This needs to happen across the board and openly, and be publicised, so anyone can go wander round and buy. Result: far more re-use. It is very much in society's interests that most sound equipment is reused.

Its misinformation through advertising. We need genuine education so they dont believe anything they see, which currently too many do.
Regards, NT