scrap metal revisited

Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings, assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts of metalwork that are worth selling ?

Reply to
jives11

I've found are local scrap metal dealer easy to deal with (even if the premises are a bit intimidating at first)with no minimum amounts.

Segregate the scrap into its different types for best prices - well worth removing brass fittings from copper pipe first. They will weigh and pay for each category separately.

Copper gets the best prices - even domestic mains flexs get >£1 kg. But even the iron etc is going to be recycled properly so a good place to get rid of everything possible with the money an extra.

Reply to
robert

Up here (Central Scotland) one company will come and pick up any car and give you £100! changed days!!

Des

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Separate aluminium too. You might think there's no weight in your bucket of bits but it's worth collecting and taking.

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Platinum's a pain though. JM are unpleasant to deal with unless you're trade, jewellers are generally thieving short-changers when it comes to dealing bullion and even a crucible to turn your dust & wire into a reasonable ingot is likely to cost a fair price in its own right.

I just love recycling silver (it's so easy!), and cuppelating mucky gold is an excuse to make shakudo. Platinum though is a white-metal elephant. It's too expensive to throw away, too awkward to actually get on and do it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Blimey. Not often I learn three new words in a day.

cuppelation, shakudo and litharge (in the Wikipedia definition of cuppelation). I already knew what a tsuba (I can see 2 from where I'm sitting) is. And a yatate.

Reply to
Huge

You're not in Yo Sushi again are you? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

*grin* No, my study. I like Japanese things.
Reply to
Huge

Someone we've known for fifty years will take it. He already deals with our silver - both directions - and gold. That's his business, being friends we trust him.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Dieseldes" contains these words:

Henry Grey (Kirkcaldy) has always done that. The price has gone up slightly, from £80 some 20 or so years ago.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Got it (them ) in one.....

Des

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Of course I did - I used to know all the scrap dealers/auto breakers in Scotland, when I owned a scrapyard...! ;-)

Reply to
Anne Jackson

and if you were anywhere between Perth and Glasgow in the last 30 years I have probably visited you......

Reply to
Dieseldes

Perth. We had a variety of addresses, the last two being 'near the railway station', and 'Inveralmond Estate'...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Yes It would have been Inveralmond, this interwebby thing makes it a small world

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Did you really own a scrapyard? I can't think of many more satisfying occupations - honestly!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There were three together - we were the farthest away yard.

Indeed!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

Yes, I did. It _was_ very satisfying, you're right!

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I used to visit a scrappy of the traditional variety (bloke built like a brick sh*thouse and a dog. Savage beast. So was the dog) in Tyseley when I first started working for Girlings in the mid '70s. But the nicest one I ever visited (which I hope is still going) was a few years ago in South Brent, just inside the Dartmoor national park. Needed* a new starter for our Cavalier. Early middle-aged bloke running it who hunted around his vehicles for something with the right motor, got it out for me and helped me fit it (well practically fitted it for me). We got talking and he said he used to be a bank manager but took early retirement when the bank was looking to shed staff and bought the scrappy of an old bloke who'd had it since way back when, before the National Park was established and hence they couldn't get him out although they hated him being there sullying their natural beauty.

  • or thought I did: turned out it wasn't the motor but a stupid poxing fault on the ignition switch
Reply to
John Stumbles

Oh, yessss! Nobody wants a scrapyard sullying their landscape, but they're quick enough to get on the phone when old cars get dumped in inaccessible places! BTDTGTBTS!

Reply to
Anne Jackson