[SOLVED] scrap car batteries - how much do scrappies pay?

No. It's not very relevant when you have batteries, but the battery price is.

equates to a fiver for a big car battery. Not a lot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I remember getting 10 quid for a couple of them (70 amp.hr) a few years ago.

Why not phone up a local dealer and ask? But if they're not in the way, keep them. One thing is certain - the present low prices for most raw materials won't last.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our local scrappie pays a bit less than 50p per kg for old batteries.

Reply to
cl

Actually it might. The great commodities supercycle that started in 2002 had a hiccup in 2008 but the Chinese pumped $zillions into the world economy, which simply reinflated asset prices. It hit a peak in late

2011 (witness BlackRock Gold & general fund price since then). Look at the historical share prices of Rio Tinto and Broken Hill Propriety to see what was 'normal' prior to 2002.

Now we all know what the Chinese have been doing since 2009 - in just 5 years they have built up the level of debt (and much of it in their shadow banking system) that the USA took 100 years to acquire.

Oil might go back to about $50 and then bumble along at this level for quite while, but the dollar is the problem, and it's US presidential year (Weak Dollar = Strong Commodities; Strong Dollar = Weak Commodities, this is why even with cheap oil, we still pay £1 per litre).

Base metals and thermal coal are dependent on Chinese demand, but they have built ghost cities and tower blocks of residential flats everywhere and no-one wants to buy them. Then when the writing was on the wall for their contrived building boom (end 2013) they allowed Chinese citizens to open share trading accounts and speculate on equities using borrowed money !! (Blimey, didn't they look at the history of share price volatility in Hong kong ?). That bubble popped in June 2015. One can only guess what the Chinese government will try next (40% devaluation ??)

Reply to
Andrew

I've got 3xdead car batteries how much could I expect to get from them and where would I need to go to?

Reply to
boonazir16

Around 50p/kilo I think (if I remember right I got 46p/kilo for the last ones I took there).

Reply to
Chris Green

don't think you would get anything just for scrap. only as part ex value.

My local council recycling centre has a huge pile of them .... so people just dropping them off - not being paid anything.

Reply to
rick

Google scrap metal prices, but somewhere around the above, in some places a bit less. Normally worth taking 3 car batts in, and any other lead odds.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

'cause they don't know any better.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I know they vary, but is a typical battery around 5 Kgs? If so, 3 are worth £7. Not worth driving far for.

Of course, they might weigh more than that, and I might be stronger than I think I am. :)

Reply to
GB

es a bit less. Normally worth taking 3 car batts in, and any other lead odd s.

5kg? I don't think so.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Par kg how much

Reply to
rajrandhawa287

About 45p per kg when I last took some.

Reply to
Chris Green

Last time I tried (which is long time ago), they didn't want them - too much paperwork. They would take them for nothing, but you only got paid for much bigger batteries than cars use.

This is when I found out the government had introduced a scheme to ensure they all got recycled, but it requires a form filling out and handing on for every battery being returned. Prior to that, the return rate through unofficial channels was very high anyway, but then it plummeted because the overheads exceeded the value, and the unofficial channels were no longer allowed to carry them without all the paperwork.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Pretty standard when the Government pokes its nose in, then.

Reply to
Huge

It is most sad when recycling an item requires more paperwork than selling new.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Sounds like a LibDem Green Energy left over...

Reply to
JoeJoe

Crow Metals Ltd are currently paying £630 a ton for Lead/Acid Batterie s. We are based in Crow Lane, Romford, Essex, RM7 0EE or give us a call on

01708 749031.
Reply to
sarah.fisher

It's something most here will have. A ton of scrap batteries. But for the very rare and odd one, you might have given the approximate range for a single battery. Unless, of course your only interest is spamming the group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Monday, 7 November 2016 13:15:58 UTC, sarah....@ metals.co.uk spammed:

ies. We are based in ----, ---- or give us a call on ----