Scary Water Pump

Page 1 of 3
Hi
I thought I'd ask about this. Is it possible to use a conventional cylinder vacuum cleaner (old sausage dog type) to pump clean water? These cleaners work by passing the filterd air stream through the motor to cool it, so the water would go thru motor as well.
For any unaware person reading this, don't do it as its clearly dangerous, my question is whether its _possible_?
Regards, NT :)
yes- best to try it out in the bath first. Throw in a few handfulls of salt before you get in to improve the efficiency.

I'd have to say no. At least certainly no unaltered. The rotor spins at some tens of thousands of RPM. Even if it could keep this speed when water got to it, it'd be destroyed by cavitation and general stress, as it's so lightly built.
Run at a few percent power, I think you would get some pumping action. If pumping very clean/distilled water, the corrosion may not be that bad, and you may get a reasonable life (few days of pumping continuously) as contaminants will get washed away from the brushes rather than conducting ionically. Losses from "windage" due to the close gaps in the motor will be large.
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am | Ian Stirling.

(snip)
I have used one to pump air out of a barrel. Another pipe from the barrel can be used to suck up water. You have to make sure that water level never reaches the air pipe, and you can only run it briefly as there isn't enough air going through the motor to cool it.
Graham

If you can live with slightly lower vacuum, then you put a hole in the tube from the barrel and allow cooling air in.
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am | Ian Stirling.
Interestingly, a choked off vacum cleaner draws much less power than a free running one ! If you block the pipe, you will hear that the motor runs *faster* - showing that the load is less.

barrel
never
enough
tube
Stirling.
------
Graham wrote:

You have just (re)invented the wet-dry shop vac. :-)
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:07:05 -0700, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
Shhh!!! Dyson might have a patent on it, and he'll be along with his army of lawyers ;)
PoP

Definite no-no ! Water and air have vastly different viscocity. Quite apart from the scary water/electricity aspects. What about a Vax type wet/dry vacuum where the water doesn't come in contact with the motor? When the water container gets full you could automatically empty it with a pressure switch/ electrical solenoid. There is also a simpler way to do auto emptying using the weight of water to trip a counterweighted flap. Regards Anthony
Hi.
Ian Stirling:

You sure?

destroyed
Lets look at it this way. Water is more viscous, so as water flows thru it would presumably slow it down and work, at least in that respect.
Power consumption would go up from motor loading, but then water cooling would deal with that too, maybe.
Of course there might be a fair bit of power flowing thru the water, so maybe it'd be warm water coming out the back.

large.
Right. I guess losses aren't too big a concern in something as barmy as this :)
Anthony Wooldridge:

You sure? Want me to try it and see? I'll bet you're wrong ;)

actually that's not hard to deal with. earth the case and you have an earthed electrode heater.
Regards, NT
PS dont try this at home

And trip the RCD which stops the pump. OK you could use an isolating transformer to stop that, (with extreme care) but when the seal between the motor and pump vanes leak (they are not designed for water) you get water in the motor electrics, electrolysis, and corrosion will eventually stop the motor if the huge increase in power caused by the presumably low conductivity tap or worse still dirty water doesn't. It could last a few minutes if you bypass the RCD. (MTBF 0.1 hrs my estimate)
Much better to try the wet/dry Vax type with auto empty.

I don't know how effective it might be, but you might consider using the exhaust airflow to suck up the water.
------------------------------------ -->Airflow--> --> Air+Water --> -----------------/ /---------------- / / / / Water
I'll think I'll patent that, call it a carburettor maybe.
--
Tony Williams. Change "nospam" to "ledelec" to email.

Tony Williams wrote:

How about: /\ Vacuum | | | | | | | ------------------------------------| | -->Airflow--> --> Air+Water | -----------------/ /----------------| | / / _| |_ / / | | | / / | \/ | Water / / |~~~~~| / / |_____| Water
Would that work, or would all the water still end up in the vac?
-Duncan
Duncan Lees wrote:

I think it would work if you made the vertical pipe on the right much wider so its flow was slower than the horizontal pipe.
--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-
Duncan Lees <duncan-at-snsys-dot-com> wrote in message

Add in a float valve cutoff to stop water going in the motor when the level goes too high, and you've got a Vax/Aquavac type wet & dry vacuum, so yes, this does work.

Older friends will remember the Flit flykiller sprays that worked just like this - far more ecological (from a material pov only) than aerosol cans. For a picture see http://www.packagemuseum.com/packagemuseum/exhibits/flit01/flit01.htm
Tony Williams wrote:

I have to admit that I'm an older reader and whilst I never saw one of those pump-type sprays in the flesh (well, metal: you know what I mean) we did have an attachment for our old Electrolux sausage type vacuum cleaner for spraying stuff (never sure what stuff: we had the gizmo but I never saw the instructions or any description for it). It consisted of a glass jar with a screw-on lid: the lid incorporated a telescopic tube which dipped into the jar, a socket for the vac hose and a nozzle out of which should emerge what was being sprayed. The idea was to attach the hose to the blow (exhaust) end of the vac so the flow of air through the gizmo would create a suction and draw up liquid from the bottle and spray it out as an aerosol.
Never worked, mind.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+
I remember my Dad in the 1960s spraypainting with one of those vacum cleaner attachments. It really did work for him. You put your finger over an air hole to start spraying. I wonder if its still in the garage at Mum's place ?
Roger

those
the
what
end
-+
It should work too, isnt that how most airbrushes still work today (although maybe the air source isnt from a vacuum cleaner any more :-)

cleaner
place
for
with
the
and
Tony Williams wrote:

Some 15 years ago, in Tunesia, I saw a butcher using it on the cadavers hanging outside his shop, against the wall in the bright sun. The sheepheads where in carton boxes, and bargained as 3 for the price of 2.
--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman