Scale Wizard (limescale inhibitor)

How much longer though?? I love my showers but have had to put up with having a crap shower each day for the past 7 or so years, with water going in all directions apart from on me. I have tried different shower heads but they all block the same. I can now have a shower with the water actually getting me wet, and not the just the walls & floor. You say that the caked on scale may have been removed after time - but judging by the amount I got out of the system on a bi-weekly basis this would not have happened, I presume that the scale builds up to a certain extent but doesn't take hold as easy as normal and is then ejected as little bits. I would rather pay out to fit a new shower unit every 10 years or so once scaled up than have to endure a crappy shower.

Reply to
Franko

So they should be.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why don't you just stick the shower head in a tub of dilute acid every week or so? I've been using the same (sulphamic) solution for over a year and it still does the job with an overnight soak

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There is

(about Limescale, not Drivel ... oh maybe there should be one about him too).

I've also written about it on my work site

YAPH

Screwfix do a phosphate dosing one for about £35 - single stage whole-house scale inhibitor. Refills about £15 but much bigger & should last longer than Combimate (combimate refills are about £20).

Reply to
YAPH

I did come across one installation with a magnetic thingy on the CW supply to the tanks that had absolutely no sign of either limescale (in the storage tank or HW cylinder) or any other form of scale inhibitor.

Reply to
YAPH

Having descaled boilers "protected" by various types of scale "inhibitor" I reckon they may work in some circumstances (see another post of mine in this thread about a magnetic device that seemed to have worked) but that they can't be relied on.

Reply to
YAPH

Is there anyone that you do not tag and section?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Because roughly 12 hours after doing that, the thing starts spraying random spurts out of the partly blocked holes in a pretty pattern around the bathroom.

Reply to
Franko

Are you now telling me that snake oil doesn't work?

I'm gutted after spending so much on it :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Whereas you should be sectioned an' de-todged.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thanks. Is that 68371? (£40 now) it looks less pretentious than the Combimate, too. The refills seem to be about £25, though, so I get 5*25+40 = £165, which is better than the Combimate, but still suspiciously close to the cost of replacing the exchanger! [The Screwfix description says "12 month cartridge life", though of course it could last longer]

One question about either of these is that they say "Must be fitted away from direct heat. " The boiler (Ideal Isar¹) case doesn't get that warm, but it's in a cupboard, so gets significantly warmer than ambient. Would that be a problem?

[1] Don't say anything!
Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

This one needs tagging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Many need it and the system is letting us down.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

version do work.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is release the scale from inside, once gone it will be clear. Run with it until it has gone. It appears to be working.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Daily, and for how many years do you propose I do this until I get a decent shower ?

Reply to
Franko

How do you "ran" with something?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Do you or don't you want scale? It was getting rid of it for you, doing what it is supposed to do. Unscrewing the shower head a few times a week until it is gone is not a great thing.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are thicker than what I thought, you need to lern sum Engulish.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel